C-News and gcc 2.2.2

Post by Steve M. Robbi » Fri, 17 Jul 1992 08:32:46

Someone recently asked on the mailing list about c-news and the clib bugs.

I've been running the May version of C-News compiled with gcc 2.2.2 for about
11 days now with apparent success.  I'm not loosing messages or getting
corrupted active files like with gcc 2.11, so it looks like a go.

As HLU mentioned, one dbz regression test still fails.  I don't know why or
if it matters -- it would appear not to be fatal at any rate.

I just went through the other regression tests, and discovered that the
expire/upact and expire/recovact shell scripts bomb on the line
        min=`expr 00000$min : '.*\(.....\)$'`
which is near the end of the files.  I'm using BASH and GNU expr, both
compiled with gcc 2.2.2.  It seems to work if I add a \" to the line:
        min=`expr \"00000$min : '.*\(.....\)$'`

[this is the upact line; recovact's is slightly different, but the same fix]

I have no idea why, but then again, neither upact nor recovact are used for
anything in day-to-day operations.

However, the vital explode/doexplode script also didn't work without
changes.  I commented out three lines and added one above it to make this
work.

-------------------------------------- explode/doexplode
cd $NEWSARTS
for f in out.master/[0-9]*
do
        if [ ! -f $f ] ; then continue; fi      # SMR this line I added
#       case "$f" in
#       "out.master/[0-9]*")  break ;;
#       esac
[...]
done

C-News and gcc 2.2.2

Post by Vince Skah » Sat, 18 Jul 1992 12:49:50

further testing revealed to me that although expire appears to work
(it DOES expire the right stuff), it doesn't update the active file.

I also found the hard way that the recovact and updact (spelling?)
scripts do not work with bash, just as you said...

thanks for the fixed scripts, I'll give them a try...

on a similar subject or two...
        - does the history file (I'm using dbz) 'expire' the history
                information appropriately ?

        - has anybody gotten uugetty to work for in/out dialing on
                the modem port ?  I'd appreciate any setup files via
                e-mail if you have...when I run it, basically it
                doesn't do anything positive (yet it seems from 'ps'
                to be spawning/dying/spawning/dying... processes
                like crazy).

--

C-News and gcc 2.2.2

Post by Steve M. Robbi » Tue, 21 Jul 1992 06:48:27

>further testing revealed to me that although expire appears to work
>(it DOES expire the right stuff), it doesn't update the active file.

This is, according to the manpage on expire, "for historical reasons".
I suppose you could put upact in doexpire if you want.

Quote:>on a similar subject or two...
>    - does the history file (I'm using dbz) 'expire' the history
>            information appropriately ?

I can't say for sure, but no problems have shown up since I ditched gcc 2.11c.

Quote:>    - has anybody gotten uugetty to work for in/out dialing on
>            the modem port ?  I'd appreciate any setup files via
>            e-mail if you have...when I run it, basically it
>            doesn't do anything positive (yet it seems from 'ps'
>            to be spawning/dying/spawning/dying... processes
>            like crazy).

Yes yes!  I've been running getty_ps for over two months now!  I call out and
have uucp calling in!!  No problem!  (well until my feed changed his modems to
fancy ones that tried to do MNP and v.42 negotiation with me, but that is
fixed now)

I just tonight uploaded a new version (well, bugfixes from the original) of
getty_ps to tsx-11.  I called it gettyps202.tar.Z when I uploaded it.  I also
put the patches and a new README into gps202.tar.Z for those who downloaded
the original getty_ps.tar.Z.  All the setup files are in the new README, so
try it out!

--

Oeuf oeuf, que lac je?

C-News and gcc 2.2.2

Post by Giles D Mal » Wed, 22 Jul 1992 11:15:06

Quote:>further testing revealed to me that although expire appears to work
>(it DOES expire the right stuff), it doesn't update the active file.

But it is not meant to ! If you wander around a bit, you will find
`upact' (a shell script) or `updatemin' (compiled c prog) in
/usr/lib/newsbin/expire. Kick one of these off via cron, and it will
update the `lowest article number' field in `active'.
updatemin is much faster.

`relaynews' updates the `highest article number' field....

--

1. Problems compiling C-News with GCC 2.5.7/libc-4.5.8

I recently installed gcc 2.5.7 and libc-4.5.8 from tsx-11 over a running
but somewhat older release of Slackware.  I then attempted to compile
C-news.  I noted that someone else ran into this message which waqs
approximately:

gcc -O2 -I../include   histslash.o  ../libcnews.a  -o histslash
/usr/lib/libgcc.sa(__libc.o): Definition of symbol __NEEDS_SHRLIB_libc_4
(multi\ply defined)
/usr/lib/libc.sa(__libc.o): Definition of symbol __NEEDS_SHRLIB_libc_4
(multipl\y defined)
make: *** [histslash] Error 1
+ exit 1
scuba:/usr/lib/news/src/c-news/conf$

I'm only posting this because I think I've found a solution and the
question has expired on my system so I can't email the originator.

I renamed /usr/lib/libgcc.sa to /usr/lib/libgcc.sa.old and
/usr/lib/libgcc.a to /usr/lib/libgcc.a.old without apparrent problems.
Once that was done, I had no problems compiling (or, for that matter,
running anything else.  I suspect that these files are artifacts of an
earlier release and no longer required.

Nick

2. su in script

3. Linux as a news server with C-news

4. file access on Linux causing hang on Solaris NFS mount - Why ?

5. C-News & NNTP Question

6. Large Run-time Memory Usage in Apache

7. C-News (cleanup rel.) fails regression test for upact

8. Dvorak keyboard newbie

9. Linux C-news relaynews setuid problem

10. *- C-News Unbatching Problem -*

11. C-news, Slackware

12. Compiling c-news under Solaris 2.3 on SPARC 20

13. C-News expire problem