How to test if kernel contains network code ?

How to test if kernel contains network code ?

Post by Romein » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 20:28:34

Due to limited RAM space, I decided to make two kernels, one with all
network code included and one without the TCP/IP and NFS stuff.
If I do not need networking, I want to boot the small kernel, being 120Kb
smaller, and not start all the network daemons, saving some more RAM.
In my /etc/rc file, I want to execute the /conf/net/rc.net script only
if the kernel contains the network code.  How can I test it ?

Thanks in advance,

John

How to test if kernel contains network code ?

Post by Matthias Urlic » Fri, 25 Jun 1993 06:25:56

Quote:> Due to limited RAM space, I decided to make two kernels, one with all
> network code included and one without the TCP/IP and NFS stuff.
> If I do not need networking, I want to boot the small kernel, being 120Kb
> smaller, and not start all the network daemons, saving some more RAM.
> In my /etc/rc file, I want to execute the /conf/net/rc.net script only
> if the kernel contains the network code.  How can I test it ?

Mount /proc and test if /proc/net/tcp exists.

--
Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse.
                           -- Miguel de Cervantes

Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- Germany  --  +49-721-9612521     \o)/

1. Dealing with filenames containing IFS characters

I am trying to write a shell script which processes all files under a
given directory hierarchy:

for f in `find $dir -print`; do
        # process $f
done

The problem is that if any of the filenames contain a character which
is also a member of IFS, then it doesn't work.  In other words, if the
filename contains whitespace, then it fails.

My question is this: how do I solve this problem in a robust manner?

Thankyou.

Alistair.

2. partitions b,c,d

3. Does the kernel contain "GPLed" Public Domain code?

4. RogueWave : Trouble with RWTPtrOrderedVector

5. Does the kernel contain all 32bit code?

6. Thinkpad 365XD Prob

7. Legality of posting code that contains GPL'd code

8. Debian subfolder in KDE3 packages

9. test test test test test test test

10. Building kernel with IFS = broken kernel?

11. Linux ext2fs IFS for OS/2 : ext2-os2 0.3 available for testing

12. Testing Whether an environment variable contains integer data in BASH

13. Looking for help in making C funcs containing 80386 assembler code