kdm/xdm problems

Post by Jamin Philip Gra » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I recently have been experimenting with kdm.  I've got it
working, except for the fact that when I start my kde session,
pull up an xterm, su to root, and try to start and x application,
it can't write to the display.  In otherwords, if I log in as
admin, admin can write to the console's display.  But, root
cannot.  I never had this problem when I started kde the old way
(with startx).  BTW, I have redhat 5.1.  Any help would be
appreciated.  I understand only a little of what goes on behind
the scenes of x-windows as I'm sure is apparent by this message.

Jamin Philip Gray

http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~jpg2/

O what a heaven is love! O what a hell!

--Thomas Dekker

1. Problem logging in with XDM/KDM - User auth problems

I've never had to deal with this before, I can no longer log into KDE as
myself... KDM puts errors in the xdm-errors.log file:

AUDIT: Wed Jun 10 15:23:02 1998: 694 X: client 2 rejected from local
host

and so on... there is also this error at the end of the file:

stdin: is not a tty

This only happens when I log in as me (which has been working for many
months...

Basically when I try to login as me, the login puts me back at the KDM
login display...

Has anyone seen this before?
--

WEB Developer           (314) 993-7727