Getting files from DOS disk to Linux

Post by Daniel Newcom » Sat, 13 Jun 1992 05:13:46

I have all of this great stuff for Linux (X, GCC, etc) but I
don't have any idea how to get it over there. I was told to
get the mtools package, but where is this?  Also, how do I
get this over there?  Thanks...
   -Dan

Post by Rob Lev » Mon, 15 Jun 1992 03:32:16

 DN> I have all of this great stuff for Linux (X, GCC, etc) but I
 DN> don't have any idea how to get it over there. I was told to
 DN> get the mtools package, but where is this?  Also, how do I
 DN> get this over there?  Thanks...
 DN>    -Dan

Dan,

You want to locate a file called MTOOLS.TZ (it is available in the
FidoNet Linux file echo called "LNXUTIL").  Format a floppy disk and use
RAWRITE to write MTOOLS.TZ to the floppy.

Then boot Linux.  Assuming you have issued the following commands from
Linux:

mknod /dev/floppya b 2 0
mknod /dev/floppyb b 2 1

You should issue:

cd /tmp

Then place the floppy in one of your drives.  If you use drive 'A',
perform the following:

tar zxvf /dev/floppya

If you use DOS drive 'B', perform the following:

tar zxvf /dev/floppyb

After the above, the contents of the mtools archive will be in your /tmp
directory.  You may have to issue:

chmod +x mtools.script

to make sure the setup script is executable.  Move any documentation
files to an appropriate directory and then issue:

mv * /usr/bin

So that the programs will be executable.  Then go to that directory and
execute the script file:

cd /usr/bin
mtools.script

At this point you should be able to use the MTOOLS commands from
anywhere in the system, to get at your DOS partitions.

P.S.  If you only have one floppy drive, you should first change your
boot disk so it uses a root directory on your hard disk.  Otherwise you
won't be able to dismount the root directory floppy to put up your
MTOOLS floppy.  See BEGINNER.ZIP on the MS-DOS side, which should tell
you how to accomplish all this....

Rob L.

 * Origin: Via the Annex in Victoria, TX (1:3802/217)

1. getting TXT files from DOS to Linux Problem

Hello, everybody!  I am a new user of Linux (it seems to be a great system),
i have installed REDHAT 5.0 version. When i whant to get .txt file like
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards from a mounted ms-dos drive, all lines ends with a
^M. I have a book that says to use the command :   mcopy -t source
destination but it does not work.
I absolutely need this file because i have an STB Velocity 128 (riva128) and
i want to install a server X for my video card.

Is someone could tell me how to do this ? Thanks !

2. Newbies non posters and lurkers please post just to say Hi ?

3. how to copy dos file to linux by floppy disk?

4. NIC/internet conflicts...

5. DOS access files on LINUX disk?

6. Printing to a Laserjet 4L

7. Getting data back from a disk after doing "newfs"?

8. Checking network card installation

9. SCSI-DAT s/w like tar for DOS to exchange files LINUX <--> DOS?

10. How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

11. Getting UUCP files to/from UNIX to/from DOS

13. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS