ALSA cs4237b soundcard drivers

Post by Evan Soiki » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:59:37

I am having problems with configuring the Crystal - cs4237b soundcard on
my IBM Thinkpad 380XD.

Upon install of eDesktop 2.4, my sound card was detected as a
SoundBlaster, and when it played files, it sounded like static. As I did
research, I found that soundblaster compatible sound cards aren't always
that compatible. So, I began the hunt to get my soundcard working.

First, after the hastle of learning how to get my gcc compiler working,
etc... and I was ready to really tackle this problem, I found that
I needed to install and compile the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(ALSA) drivers and configure my cs4237b chip to play using a cs4236
chip. Sounds easy enough.

So, I get all the ALSA drivers, libraries, utilities, and whatever else
I need. And start the process. The installation went very smoothly. At
the very end of it, when I attempt to load MY soundcard drivers into the
kernel, this is what happens:

snd_cport=0x120
 snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma2=1
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/snd-card-cs4236.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy

So, I do a little further inquiry, and start hearing problems with
soundcards and pcmci controllers running into resource conflicts. Which
makes the error seem like it might make complete sense. But at this
point, I'm not too sure. And I start looking into how to configure the
irq, dma, i/o, etc.. of my pnp cards to ensure no hardware conflicts.
In my specific case, I found the tpctl (ThinkPad Control) package
released by IBM in an attempt to support linux. This package is supposed
to be like the typical ThinkPad control facility you would have in
windows, configuring bios settings, turning on and off serial/parellel
ports (Another problem I haven't faced yet), setting hardware resources,
etc...

So, I find I need tpctl v1.x in order to be able to run on a linux
kernel 2.2.x (Newer releases are for kernel 2.4.x) And when I install
this, again, the install works fine. Everything works unit I try to
execute the program.   When I execute tpctl I get the following
response:

tpctl: System error message is: No such device
tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad with flags O_RDONLY.
Exiting.

The TROUBLESHOOTING guide as well as the error led me to believe that
possibly my /dev/thinkpad has the wrong permissions for me as a root
user. Which I discover is not the case. All my permssions seem OK. Then
I stumble across my current state, the thinkpad modules aren't loaded
into the kernel. CAOS won't allow me to add it to the kernel, and
modprobe doesn't find toshiba.

In conclusion, my sound card isn't working, and if you know of another
way of getting myself up and running, or you know what I'm doing wrong,
I could use all the help I could get.

--Evan

Post by MJ Ra » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 04:46:52

> snd_cport=0x120
>  snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma2=1
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/snd-card-cs4236.o: init_module: Device or
> resource busy

Are you sure about all of those parameters?  Get one wrong and it'll
say that.

Quote:> [...] And I start looking into how to configure the
> irq, dma, i/o, etc.. of my pnp cards to ensure no hardware conflicts.
> In my specific case, I found the tpctl (ThinkPad Control) package
> released by IBM in an attempt to support linux.

pnp tools (pnpdump and friends) not shake your tree?

> tpctl: System error message is: No such device
> tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad with flags O_RDONLY.
> Exiting.

Does it need a kernel patch or something?  Where does /dev/thinkpad
come from?  And then you say...

Quote:> I stumble across my current state, the thinkpad modules aren't loaded
> into the kernel. CAOS won't allow me to add it to the kernel, and
> modprobe doesn't find toshiba.

Hang on... why "toshiba" suddenly?
--
MJR
Member of the Anglian Linux User Group, UK

1. alsa driver for CS4237B sound card in mdk8??

Greetings,

I am trying to get my Crystal CS4237B sound card on a Dell Latitude to
work. Currenlty trying to use alsa drivers. Downloaded and installed alsa
(through mandrake software installer, using rpms). The Alsa HOWTO tells
me the cs4237b cannot be autoprobed, so i need to supply ports, dma and
irq. However, it doesnt work. The howto refers to isapnp.conf for information
about these settings, but i have no such file. Error message says: device
not found.  I have tried messing with the settings, but no gain.

Anyone could help me?

Regard,

Magnus Larsson

2. IPSEC and NAT

3. ALSA and Crystal Semiconductor CODECS: CS4237B and Suse 7.0

4. Patch21 to Patch22

5. ct5880 onboard soundcard and alsa driver

6. uugetty errors?

7. ALSA drivers with 2 soundcards

8. Looking for better termcap for Solaris 2.1

9. SiS 7018 SoundCard Problem with alsa driver.

10. SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

11. CS4232 driver driving CS4237B -- sound problem solved

12. alsa with 2 soundcards: emu10k1 and intel8x0

13. Full duplex soundcard via ALSA?