NET-2 FAQ [PROPOSAL]

Post by Justin Harv » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 09:33:05

From the amount of people that are having trouble with configuring
NET-2 with Linux ver .99 patch level 10, I'm volunteering to
write a new NET-2 Freequently Asked Questions (FAQ). But,
I will need some info and input on getting it started.  Has anyone
gotten as far as getting the files, putting them into their correct
directories and doing the setup?? If so, or if you would like to comment
just drop me an email or post and support me here.
Justin
|Justin Brannon Harvey | 6734-a Marguerite | Juneau, AK 99801  |
|TCP/IP & Unix Administrator -- City & Borough Gov't of Juneau |

|WK: (907) 586-5295 | Hm: (907) 586-9098 Fax: (907) 586-5299   |

NET-2 FAQ [PROPOSAL]

Post by Marc G Fourni » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 14:54:44

>From the amount of people that are having trouble with configuring
>NET-2 with Linux ver .99 patch level 10, I'm volunteering to
>write a new NET-2 Freequently Asked Questions (FAQ). But,
>I will need some info and input on getting it started.  Has anyone
>gotten as far as getting the files, putting them into their correct
>directories and doing the setup?? If so, or if you would like to comment
>just drop me an email or post and support me here.

        I had heard that someone was writing an actual manual
for it...was that just rumor?

marc

1. Proposal: add # of bytes to /proc/net/dev

After half an evening of playing around trying to monitor how loaded
my PPP line is, I think the best solution is to augment /proc/net/dev
so that it reports how many bytes have been sent, as well as packets
and errors and all the other stuff it does now.

This change isn't that hard, at least for getting PPP statistics (the
only interface my box has). /proc/net/dev basically prints out the
struct enet_statistics that the device's get_stats function returns.
struct enet_statistics currently contain no slot for "number of bytes
transmitted", although one could easily be added.

Is this a good idea? How would I go about making it happen as part of
the standard linux tree? I could do the ppp change in about 5 minutes
(ppp.c already maintains the stats) The problem is convincing the
ethernet device driver maintainers to modify all the other drivers to
collect this statistic. I'm new to linux kernel modification: is a
change like this feasible?
--
                               __

2. Spreadsheet app called from a script / other program

3. Proposal: Top ten FAQ

4. recent announcement lost, send to me please?

5. Proposal: A FAQ for these Newsgroups

6. Running app that requires no more than 8 bit gfx

7. UNIX sysadmin FAQ- proposal and volunt

8. enscript for Solaris 2.x wanted

9. UNIX sysadmin FAQ- proposal and volunteer

10. Net-2 questions, we all got net-2 questions!

11. Whats different between NET-2 and NET-3

12. Why don't I have /proc/net with net-2?

13. Up to date: Net-2 or Net-3?