Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Paul Presc » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 11:34:11

>>Not everyone has Usenet access.

>Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
>new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
>can possible do justice to Linux.

>To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

Why does everyone have to be "in the thick?"  Can't some be casual
users?

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Keith Smi » Tue, 27 Apr 1993 22:51:07

>>Not everyone has Usenet access.

>Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
>new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
>can possible do justice to Linux.

>To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

I agree & disagree.  I think a journal would be a GOOD THING(TM) for the
linux community as a whole.  Not everyone running unix is interested in
the latest kernal patch or hack.  I journal could outline say the
changes in the past month, and what features were added, what bugs were
fixed, New ports and the like, so Non-hack users can decide when to
upgrade to the latest & greatest.

ie.  Not everyone wants to be "In the thick", they just want to "use".
--

Digital Designs      BBS 1-919-423-4216            Hope Mills, NC 28348-2201
Somewhere in the Styx of North Carolina ...

Linux Journal -- magazine

:
: Why does everyone have to be "in the thick?"  Can't some be casual
: users?

Exactly.  Thousands of people are buying Coherent because it looks (to
them) like Unix.  Most of those systems will never talk to Usenet or
the Internet.  But those people will learn and the Unix community will
grow because of it.

I have been working with UNIX since 1980.  At that time there were two
books on C (one good - K&R and one bad) and nothing on UNIX other than
man pages and the related technical documents.  Today the UNIX
community is much larger -- partly because there are magazines and
books available to help people get involved where involved means at
the level they want.

If the Usenet Linux community supports magazines and book publishers
it will grow as well.  That growth can mean:
  * more people that think Linux/Unix is an alternative to NT, et al
  * a market for those who want to develop commercial products
    for Linux
  * a feeling of accomplishment for those who have worked so hard
    to make Linux possible
  * a more educated computer user community
--
Phil Hughes - FYL - 8315 Lk City Wy NE - Suite 207 - Seattle, WA 98115
Phone: 206-526-2919 x74      Fax: 526-0803

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by John Paul Morris » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 09:29:57

>>Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
>>new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
>>can possible do justice to Linux.

>There is no way any paper journal can compete with
>comp.os.linux.announce for speed, true.  There are, however, things
>that a journal can do which do not require high speeds: reviews of
>stuff (instead of just announcements), interviews, commentary, making
>Linux known to people who've never even heard of any net, and so on.
>A monthly magazine that is produced quickly enough (so that it is only
>a couple of months out of date) can still be up to date _enough_ that
>it is useful and valuable.

A journal shouldnt be trying to keep up with the latest news. Its
like comparing TV and newspapers. TV gives the instant story and
pictures, but it doesnt stick with a story and give any depth to it.

Linux Journal could have a small section for soundbites, and brief
info (and a gossipy section where every mentioned person gets their name
bold-faced ;-)

Linux Journal would let the major developers (or at least people who
have interviewed the important people) write down the *history* and
the design process for Linux. People like Linus deserve to have their
acomplishments set down in hardcopy, for historical/archival purposes.
Who knows where Linux will be in 5 or 10 years; do people want to
learn what Linux was all about from alt.folklore.computers? Linux will
develop alot in the next few years old timers and newbies just installing
Linux 10R6 (pl 6A-4.3b.R2) will want to learn a bit about it or relive
past accomplishments.

Also, a respectable Journal would provide a defense against lawsuits,
harrasment etc.  (prior art: algorithm, code published in journal)

>--

>   MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it.

 John Paul Morrison                     |
 University of British Columbia, Canada | Hey hey!! Ho ho!!
 Electrical Engineering                 | Tax & spend liberals

________________________________________|____________________________________

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Neil Richar » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 00:39:48

> >>Not everyone has Usenet access.

> >Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
> >new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
> >can possible do justice to Linux.
> I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
> per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
> for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
> the dosemu.

> Another thing to note about the traffic on the channel in relation to
> versions of the kernel, is that not everyone is running 0.99pl8A + /dev/full
> + /dev/fd + other assorted patches. Many people are sticking with stable
> versions of the kernel that work well enough for their needs. Some people,
> I would guess, simply cant afford the time to keep on the continuous
> upgrade path, and may only upgrade when there is a major release, or they
> may be waiting for v1.0 (aren't we all... ;-) ). Some people may not be
> able to afford the downtime to fix bugs which may have arisen in later
> versions of the kernel which are yet to be fixed.

> >To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

> What is "the thick of Linux use"? Not everyone is a kernel hacker you
> know. Some people are using linux as the O/S of choise on machines for
> doing research, others are using it to run BBS's and mail sites etc. Are
> these people out of the 'thick' of linux usage? I can remember the 0.03
> release of source, and 0.1 the first public release of binaries for the
> kernel... I can remember "This is a hacker's kernel" in the README's.
> (Heh, having to download the minix demo so that i could get a file system
> on my machine... yes they were the days ;-) )
> Things have changed a little now. There is a growing userbase of people who use
> linux for more than hacking, and I guess a journal would be an ideal thing
> for them, especially if they do not have easy access to the Internet.

> Actually, I like the idea of the journal being released in both electronic
> and paper form, and it would be good for there to be interaction between
> us fortunates in the world with internet access, and those who haven't got
> it but would like to be able to use linux. As far as I am concerned, if some-
> one wants to start up a journal, with all the hassles that would involve,
> and as long as they are ethical about it (in terms of acknowledgment of
> work, who they accept advertisments from etc) then let them go ahead..
> __
> \/ chris.

|  Sema Group FM  | Radio    - G6EQR - QTHR                 |               |
|  GLASGOW UK     | Voice    - 041 204 3414                 |               |
    What a load of crap!!!

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Neil Richar » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 00:43:20

> >>Not everyone has Usenet access.

> >Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
> >new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
> >can possible do justice to Linux.
> I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
> per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
> for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
> the dosemu.

> Another thing to note about the traffic on the channel in relation to
> versions of the kernel, is that not everyone is running 0.99pl8A + /dev/full
> + /dev/fd + other assorted patches. Many people are sticking with stable
> versions of the kernel that work well enough for their needs. Some people,
> I would guess, simply cant afford the time to keep on the continuous
> upgrade path, and may only upgrade when there is a major release, or they
> may be waiting for v1.0 (aren't we all... ;-) ). Some people may not be
> able to afford the downtime to fix bugs which may have arisen in later
> versions of the kernel which are yet to be fixed.

> >To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

> What is "the thick of Linux use"? Not everyone is a kernel hacker you
> know. Some people are using linux as the O/S of choise on machines for
> doing research, others are using it to run BBS's and mail sites etc. Are
> these people out of the 'thick' of linux usage? I can remember the 0.03
> release of source, and 0.1 the first public release of binaries for the
> kernel... I can remember "This is a hacker's kernel" in the README's.
> (Heh, having to download the minix demo so that i could get a file system
> on my machine... yes they were the days ;-) )
> Things have changed a little now. There is a growing userbase of people who use
> linux for more than hacking, and I guess a journal would be an ideal thing
> for them, especially if they do not have easy access to the Internet.

> Actually, I like the idea of the journal being released in both electronic
> and paper form, and it would be good for there to be interaction between
> us fortunates in the world with internet access, and those who haven't got
> it but would like to be able to use linux. As far as I am concerned, if some-
> one wants to start up a journal, with all the hassles that would involve,
> and as long as they are ethical about it (in terms of acknowledgment of
> work, who they accept advertisments from etc) then let them go ahead..
> __
> \/ chris.

|  Sema Group FM  | Radio    - G6EQR - QTHR                 |               |
|  GLASGOW UK     | Voice    - 041 204 3414                 |               |

reply:

You are talking through your arse sunshine !!!!
What a lot of shite !!!!

What do you think about that then donkey breath

Please reply to your local agony aunt.

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by C. G. Albo » Mon, 03 May 1993 00:11:43

>> >Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
>> >new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
>> >can possible do justice to Linux.
>> I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
>> per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
>> for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
>> the dosemu.

>> Another thing to note about the traffic on the channel in relation to
>> versions of the kernel, is that not everyone is running 0.99pl8A + /dev/full
>> + /dev/fd + other assorted patches. Many people are sticking with stable
>> versions of the kernel that work well enough for their needs. Some people,
>> I would guess, simply cant afford the time to keep on the continuous
>> upgrade path, and may only upgrade when there is a major release, or they
>> may be waiting for v1.0 (aren't we all... ;-) ). Some people may not be
>> able to afford the downtime to fix bugs which may have arisen in later
>> versions of the kernel which are yet to be fixed.

>> >To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

>> What is "the thick of Linux use"? Not everyone is a kernel hacker you
>> know. Some people are using linux as the O/S of choise on machines for
>> doing research, others are using it to run BBS's and mail sites etc. Are
>> these people out of the 'thick' of linux usage? I can remember the 0.03
>> release of source, and 0.1 the first public release of binaries for the
>> kernel... I can remember "This is a hacker's kernel" in the README's.
>> (Heh, having to download the minix demo so that i could get a file system
>> on my machine... yes they were the days ;-) )
>> Things have changed a little now. There is a growing userbase of people who use
>> linux for more than hacking, and I guess a journal would be an ideal thing
>> for them, especially if they do not have easy access to the Internet.

>> Actually, I like the idea of the journal being released in both electronic
>> and paper form, and it would be good for there to be interaction between
>> us fortunates in the world with internet access, and those who haven't got
>> it but would like to be able to use linux. As far as I am concerned, if some-
>> one wants to start up a journal, with all the hassles that would involve,
>> and as long as they are ethical about it (in terms of acknowledgment of
>> work, who they accept advertisments from etc) then let them go ahead..
>> __
>> \/ chris.

>|  Sema Group FM  | Radio    - G6EQR - QTHR                 |               |
>|  GLASGOW UK     | Voice    - 041 204 3414                 |               |
>    What a load of crap!!!

Howso?

Since you obviously know more that me, would you like to enlighten me?

Or is it just the case that you are looking for a flamefest all of your
very own?

Kinda pathetic really.... heh...

__
\/ chris

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Stephen Harr » Tue, 04 May 1993 00:34:50

> >Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
> >new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
> >can possible do justice to Linux.

> >To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

> Why does everyone have to be "in the thick?"  Can't some be casual
> users?

The way I see it, Linux is as close to being standard unix as many commercial
immplentations.  If Gnu software ports to Linux as easily as it ports to
SunOS (which it does for 90%+ of software) then it is standard :-)

They only advantage a Linux specific journal could have would be to those
*hackers* who want to be kept up to date.  (most normal users would be happy
enough with generic Unix journals - eg Unix World. A *casual* user wouldn't
need/want Linux specific information.  Heck, any *casual* user wouldn't know
half of what is talked about in c.o.l :-) ).

And, as has been noted, Linux "state of the art" is moving too fast for a
paper journal to be up to date.

So: good idea, but unfortunately not applicable to c.o.l.

(Just my opinion).
                            Stephen Harris

*  Meow! Call Spuddy the Cat for Usenet access in the UK.  Call 0203 364436 *

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Neil Richar » Wed, 05 May 1993 20:54:43

> >> I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
> >> per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
> >> for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
> >> the dosemu.
etc
> >    What a load of crap!!!

> Howso?

> Since you obviously know more that me, would you like to enlighten me?

> Or is it just the case that you are looking for a flamefest all of your
> very own?

> Kinda pathetic really.... heh...

I must apologise to everyone for the messages that got sent to the net from
my user id.
Some plonker thought it amusing to edit/play with my mail. That person
hopefully now sees the error of his humor (after being hit about the head :)

Sorry for any offense

Neil

Post by Paul Presc » Thu, 06 May 1993 10:25:32

>The way I see it, Linux is as close to being standard unix as many commercial
>immplentations.  If Gnu software ports to Linux as easily as it ports to
>SunOS (which it does for 90%+ of software) then it is standard :-)

What about Linux product advertisments?  Until we have binary
compatibility (maybe never) this would be a good forum for commercial
companies to advertise their Linux software.

Besides: Linux isn't an operating system...it's a movement. Unix users
aren't necessarily part of that movement.

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by KZU.. » Mon, 10 May 1993 05:57:52

>>> I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
>>> per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
>>> for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
>>> the dosemu.

>>> Another thing to note about the traffic on the channel in relation to
>>> versions of the kernel, is that not everyone is running 0.99pl8A + /dev/full
>>> + /dev/fd + other assorted patches. Many people are sticking with stable
>>> versions of the kernel that work well enough for their needs. Some people,
>>> I would guess, simply cant afford the time to keep on the continuous
>>> upgrade path, and may only upgrade when there is a major release, or they
>>> may be waiting for v1.0 (aren't we all... ;-) ). Some people may not be
>>> able to afford the downtime to fix bugs which may have arisen in later
>>> versions of the kernel which are yet to be fixed.

>>> What is "the thick of Linux use"? Not everyone is a kernel hacker you
>>> know. Some people are using linux as the O/S of choise on machines for
>>> doing research, others are using it to run BBS's and mail sites etc. Are
>>> these people out of the 'thick' of linux usage? I can remember the 0.03
>>> release of source, and 0.1 the first public release of binaries for the
>>> kernel... I can remember "This is a hacker's kernel" in the README's.
>>> (Heh, having to download the minix demo so that i could get a file system
>>> on my machine... yes they were the days ;-) )
>>> Things have changed a little now. There is a growing userbase of people who use
>>> linux for more than hacking, and I guess a journal would be an ideal thing
>>> for them, especially if they do not have easy access to the Internet.

>>> Actually, I like the idea of the journal being released in both electronic
>>> and paper form, and it would be good for there to be interaction between
>>> us fortunates in the world with internet access, and those who haven't got
>>> it but would like to be able to use linux. As far as I am concerned, if some-
>>> one wants to start up a journal, with all the hassles that would involve,
>>> and as long as they are ethical about it (in terms of acknowledgment of
>>> work, who they accept advertisments from etc) then let them go ahead..
>>> __
>>> \/ chris.

>>|  Sema Group FM  | Radio    - G6EQR - QTHR                 |               |
>>|  GLASGOW UK     | Voice    - 041 204 3414                 |               |
>>    What a load of crap!!!

Obviously somebody wokeup on the wrong side of his stall. If its so much *
then why not say why otherwise we don't want to here it!!!

Quote:>Howso?

>Since you obviously know more that me, would you like to enlighten me?

>Or is it just the case that you are looking for a flamefest all of your
>very own?

>Kinda pathetic really.... heh...

>__
>\/ chris