Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Linux Journ » Sat, 17 Apr 1993 11:07:10

A few months ago a group of people in the U.S. (some in Seattle but
stretching all the way to the east coast) started talking about an idea
for a magazine.  The initial magazine idea is still undergoing some
changes but, in the process, the idea for the Linux Journal was born.

Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."
Well, Linux Journal wants to be that journal for the Linux movement.

There is a questionnaire at the end of this post.  We would like to
encourage your input.  If this magazine is going to happen it needs to
be what people want.  "The Net" is one audience we need to hear from.
The other, harder to find, audience are all the people that don't know
about or have access to the net.  If you know people who fit in this
category, please either give them a copy of the questionnaire to
mail or FAX back or send us their address and we will mail them a flyer.

Some details of our plans:
  * We will be a monthly publication focusing on the world of Linux
  * We will minimize lead time so the information will be current
  * We will cover both "free" and commercial software
  * We will report on the Linux project as a whole
  * We want to help newcomers as well as those with *ix experience
  * Our first issue will be out by September 1

The answers we get from this questionnaire will help us complete our
advertising policy and editorial policy.

Thanks for your time -- Phil, Laurie, Mike, ...

                       Questionnaire (please return)
                         Help Direct Linux Journal

    This flier attempts to tell you what we think should be in Linux
    Journal.  But, what matters is what you want to see in Linux Journal.
    Please answer the questions below and return this form to help make
    this effort succeed.

    1. Rate your interest in the following features:
       (1=not interested, 2=possible interest, 3=interested,
       4=very interested, 5=that's my subject!)
       ___  a. Club and organization contacts
       ___  b. Non-commercial classified ads
       ___  c. Latest Linux release information
       ___  d. Letters to the editor
       ___  e. Software wanted column
       ___  f. Linux Questions and Answers
       ___  g. New Linux-related products
       ___  h. New to the club -- a focus on schools, etc that are
               getting into Linux
       ___  i. Linux Profile -- a look at a Linux developer or user
       ___  j. Tutorial on a particular aspect of Linux (or Unix)
       ___  k. Current trends -- what's happening with Linux
               (becoming commercial, support by vendors, etc)
       ___  l. Introduction to Linux -- basic background information on
               Linux for first-time or prospective users

    2. Are there any other topics you would like to see covered?

    3. We intend to sell commercial advertising but limit it to vendors
    whose products and services are in tune with the Statement of Purpose
    of Linux Journal.  We expect advertising from hardware manufacturers,
    publishers of books and other publications and software vendors of
    both "free" and commercial products.
    Comments: ____________________________________________________________

    4. Would you be interested in:
        [ ] subscribing    [ ] advertising    [ ] writing articles

    Name __________________________________________________________
    Address _______________________________________________________
    City    ____________________________State ____ ZIP ____________
    E-mail: _______________________________________________________
    Currently running: [ ] Linux, [ ] MS-DOS, [ ] Unix,
                       [ ] Other ______________
    Have the following system(s): _________________________________

    Please return this form to:
                 Linux Journal
                 P.O. Box 85867
             Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    Or, e-mail something like it to:

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Chip Salzenbe » Tue, 20 Apr 1993 13:32:16

Quote:>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.
--

                  * Tailfin smarts from orca bite
                    * Waters ahead hide dangers unknown

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by HJ L » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 00:08:21

>>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

>Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.

Not everyone has Usenet access. It is nice to have something in
printing like FAQ. You don't have to go through 13,000 to find
your answer. Besides, I can hardly find what I want to buy in
Computer Shopper. It will be nice to have some ads. It totaly
depends on what are in a journal. There are things a journal
can do better.

BTW, some people pay for Usenet.

H.J.

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Robert Paul Malo » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 05:54:10

>>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

> Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.

Could it be that all successful movements inspire journals to profit off of
their progress?
--
Rob Malouf

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Piers David Cawl » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 04:25:51

>>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

>Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.

And what about the poor *s that don't have Usenet?

--
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Piers Cawley                 |                                     |

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Disclaimer: I don't speak for vernon, I don't even know who he is  |

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by C. G. Albo » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 19:03:41

>>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

>Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.

You forget a couple of things...

        The world is very big, and filled with a lot of people that
        would like to play/use/develop for Linux

        Not all people in the world have usenet access...

>--

>                  * Tailfin smarts from orca bite
>                    * Waters ahead hide dangers unknown
>                      * Still I chase fish and laugh *

__
\/chris....

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Simon Patrick Jan » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 09:45:23

>>>Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
>>>technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
>>>movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."

>>Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.
>Not everyone has Usenet access. It is nice to have something in
>printing like FAQ. You don't have to go through 13,000 to find
>your answer. Besides, I can hardly find what I want to buy in
>Computer Shopper. It will be nice to have some ads. It totaly
>depends on what are in a journal. There are things a journal
>can do better.
>BTW, some people pay for Usenet.

What I think would be a great thing to include in the Journal is a "Linux
does it better..." feature, where every week we tackle a common "DOSism"
that people say "They can't do without," and show how it can be done in
Linux. It would even include things that DOS can't do very well now. This
kind of "tutorial" doesn't seem to exist on Usenet, Usenet is very fluidic
and on comp.os.linux its very hard to find some things in the volume.

Quote:>H.J.

Simon "Guru Aleph-Null" Janes          |Taco Bell Otaku-zoku...

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Erik Tro » Thu, 22 Apr 1993 23:12:03

|> >Why does the Linux community need a magazine?  The publisher of a
|> >technical magazine I was talking to put it this way: "No successful
|> >movement has ever made it without a journal reporting on its progress."
|>
|> Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.
|> --

But! Other's do need a nice clean journal. They don't have Usenet.

The whole world isn't on internet. Any effort that can be made that doesn't
cost ME or YOU anything is a good idea. Don't discourage anyone from
spreading the word about linux. Think about all of those poor lost souls
who still see "C>" when they turn on their machines.

Sad, isn't it?

Erik

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into
the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
                -- Woody Allen

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Paul Monday - » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 01:18:38

>|> Ha!  We don't need no s*kin' journal.  We have Usenet.
>|> --

>But! Other's do need a nice clean journal. They don't have Usenet.

>The whole world isn't on internet. Any effort that can be made that doesn't
>cost ME or YOU anything is a good idea. Don't discourage anyone from
>spreading the word about linux. Think about all of those poor lost souls
>who still see "C>" when they turn on their machines.

I'm curious, (note that this doesn't mean I'm taking sides on YES/NO to a journal),
but, would it be possible to create an 'online' journal.  Something like this:
comp.os.linux.journal - Contains official journal material...things can be posted
    only by the journal editors (chosen by the newsgroup or whatever)
comp.os.linux.editors - Free flow of information to the editors, hackers could watch
    rough drafts fly by and make comments, and editors could respond by local email
    when articles have been chosen for submission to the 'journal' forum.

Once a month, the comp.os.liinux.journal could be archived, printed, (or mailed) and sent to
parties interested in the goings on in the linux community.

This would satisfy everyone, I think.  The key would be maintaining the spirit which
Linux was built around....online worldwide immediate gratification...available for a
quick tap onto the old internet.

Anyway, this topic strays a little from what I enjoy...a journal seems to stray too
much from the concept of Linux, (though I may be wrong).  The problem is getting people
to submit 'intelligent', technically PERFECT articles from the gazillion people that
read the net.

well, enough bits from me

--
PB Monday - Washington State University -

-> Environmentally aware post - Do not hardcopy
-> Recycle - Reuse - Conserve

Linux Journal -- magazine

   Date: 21 Apr 93 16:18:38 GMT

   I'm curious, (note that this doesn't mean I'm taking sides on
   YES/NO to a journal), but, would it be possible to create an
   'online' journal.  Something like this: comp.os.linux.journal -
   Contains official journal material...things can be posted only by
   the journal editors (chosen by the newsgroup or whatever)
   comp.os.linux.editors - Free flow of information to the editors,
   hackers could watch rough drafts fly by and make comments, and
   editors could respond by local email when articles have been chosen
   for submission to the 'journal' forum.

Hell, I'd pay for an editor to edit comp.os.linux and just feed me the
stuff I care about.  That's half of what journals are all about
anyway.

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Matt Wel » Sat, 24 Apr 1993 07:39:42

Quote:>Hell, I'd pay for an editor to edit comp.os.linux and just feed me the
>stuff I care about.  That's half of what journals are all about
>anyway.

That's what we try to do with comp.os.linux.announce. "The stuff you care
about" is usually defined as those postings which someone crossposts
to c.o.l.a. I try to snarf c.o.l-only postings that are important enough
for c.o.l.a, however, most folks remember to crosspost themselves.

mdw

--

"That kernel's got a mean streak A MILE WIDE!!" --Chip Salzenberg

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Chip Salzenbe » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 13:58:49

Quote:>Not everyone has Usenet access.

Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
can possible do justice to Linux.

To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.
--

                  * Tailfin smarts from orca bite
                    * Waters ahead hide dangers unknown
                      * Still I chase fish and laugh *

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by Clint Jeffe » Sat, 24 Apr 1993 14:05:29

Quote:> Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.

Isn't that neat-o! :-)

Quote:> I don't think that a paper journal can possible do justice to Linux.

Boy, you can say that again! :-)

Quote:> To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

No way!  To be in the thick of Linux *use*, all you need is a copy of
Linux (disk, tape, CD, whatever).  The bigger Linux gets, and the older
it gets, the fewer percent of its followers will feel a need to "keep up"
with every little kernel tweak.  If the journal folks were Really Clever,
they could provide a product that even comp.os.linux readers would find
valuable; the questions are "can they do a good job" and "can they do it
cheap enough" (and maybe "are they here to help linux, or just make $$").
--

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by C. G. Albo » Mon, 26 Apr 1993 11:05:23

>>Not everyone has Usenet access.

>Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.  And look at the rate of
>new program or port announcements.  I don't think that a paper journal
>can possible do justice to Linux.

I am not sure that it is the case that there are multiple patches
per week. I havent seen an 'offical' patch release (or semi-official patch
for that matter) since Linus released that one to fix 0.99p8 to run
the dosemu.

Another thing to note about the traffic on the channel in relation to
versions of the kernel, is that not everyone is running 0.99pl8A + /dev/full
+ /dev/fd + other assorted patches. Many people are sticking with stable
versions of the kernel that work well enough for their needs. Some people,
I would guess, simply cant afford the time to keep on the continuous
upgrade path, and may only upgrade when there is a major release, or they
may be waiting for v1.0 (aren't we all... ;-) ). Some people may not be
able to afford the downtime to fix bugs which may have arisen in later
versions of the kernel which are yet to be fixed.

Quote:

>To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

What is "the thick of Linux use"? Not everyone is a kernel hacker you
know. Some people are using linux as the O/S of choise on machines for
doing research, others are using it to run BBS's and mail sites etc. Are
these people out of the 'thick' of linux usage? I can remember the 0.03
release of source, and 0.1 the first public release of binaries for the
kernel... I can remember "This is a hacker's kernel" in the README's.
(Heh, having to download the minix demo so that i could get a file system
on my machine... yes they were the days ;-) )
Things have changed a little now. There is a growing userbase of people who use
linux for more than hacking, and I guess a journal would be an ideal thing
for them, especially if they do not have easy access to the Internet.

Actually, I like the idea of the journal being released in both electronic
and paper form, and it would be good for there to be interaction between
us fortunates in the world with internet access, and those who haven't got
it but would like to be able to use linux. As far as I am concerned, if some-
one wants to start up a journal, with all the hassles that would involve,
and as long as they are ethical about it (in terms of acknowledgment of
work, who they accept advertisments from etc) then let them go ahead..
__
\/ chris.

Linux Journal -- magazine

Post by DHALIWAL BIKRAM SIN » Tue, 27 Apr 1993 17:36:00

>> Linus generates multiple patches per _week_.
>Isn't that neat-o! :-)

>> I don't think that a paper journal can possible do justice to Linux.
>Boy, you can say that again! :-)

>> To be in the thick of Linux use, Usenet is the price of admission.

True, but look at it from a different perspective.  Sometimes it is
just as good to step away from the picture to see what it really looks
like.

Look at financial magazines.  Just because the stock market changes
to the MINUTE (even Linus can't generate patches by the minute),
does not mean that a weekly review is not practical.  You will always
have the Usenet, a journal would be handy thing as well.

Bikram Dhaliwal
PH: 416-351-9660

1. Linux Journal magazine?

Does anyone have an email address for Linux Journal magazine?  Or maybe
even a phone number?

I sent in my subscription many moons ago and have yet to see a magazine
at my door.

Thanks!

On the Internet, nobody knows you're running Linux

2. location big and smal SIMMs

3. Don Marti of Linux Journal magazine on DMCA - Davis, CA, Feb.4

4. login: no modules loaded for 'login' service. What _is_ this???

5. Linux Journal magazine

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (1/7) [Frequent posting]

7. Linux Journal -- a Magazine on Linux

8. netscape's backspace problem

9. Linux Journal or Linux Magazine

10. UNIX technical journal or magazine

11. Recommendations for good Systems Adim Magazines or Journals

12. Linux Journal/Free Software Journal?

13. Journal Review - Linux Journal