FTP won't accept connections

Post by Paul Rempe » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:24:47

I am running Red Hat 6, and for some reason it won't accept incoming ftp
connections.

My /etc/inetd.conf  file has the following lines in it:

ftp       stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.ftpd -l -a
telnet   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.telnetd

telnet works fine, but whenever I ftp to the machihne it won't
accept connections!

Please help,

Paul

FTP won't accept connections

Post by Stephen M. William » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:37:50

Quote:> I am running Red Hat 6, and for some reason it won't accept incoming ftp
> connections.

> My /etc/inetd.conf  file has the following lines in it:

> ftp       stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.ftpd -l -a
> telnet   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.telnetd

> telnet works fine, but whenever I ftp to the machihne it won't accept
> connections!

> Please help,

> Paul

Do you have an ftp daemon installed?  Is there a firewall blocking port 21?

--
Stephen Williams

* I've tried killing time, but it keeps making a comeback.

FTP won't accept connections

Post by Paul Rempe » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:42:51

I don't have any firewall set up, but I don't specifically setup an ftpd
program.  From what I understand, inetd is supposed to take care of that by
monitoring ports and spawning the appropriate process (in this case ftpd)
only when needed.

Paul

> > I am running Red Hat 6, and for some reason it won't accept incoming ftp
> > connections.

> > My /etc/inetd.conf  file has the following lines in it:

> > ftp       stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.ftpd -l -a
> > telnet   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.telnetd

> > telnet works fine, but whenever I ftp to the machihne it won't accept
> > connections!

> > Please help,

> > Paul

> Do you have an ftp daemon installed?  Is there a firewall blocking port
21?

> --
> Stephen Williams

> * I've tried killing time, but it keeps making a comeback.

FTP won't accept connections

Post by UNIX dud » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:49:32

    Make sure there is an actual FTP daemon installed on the computer
system.  Secondly, do you even get a "connect" message?  Have you checked
/etc/hosts.deny; /etc/shells, /var/log/ftp*, /var/log/secure*,
/var/log/messages (var dirs hold log files which might have messages
indicating what's wrong) ... do you have users placed into /etc/ftpusers?
could be a lot of things.. give us some symptoms

> I don't have any firewall set up, but I don't specifically setup an ftpd
> program.  From what I understand, inetd is supposed to take care of that
by
> monitoring ports and spawning the appropriate process (in this case ftpd)
> only when needed.

> Paul

> > > I am running Red Hat 6, and for some reason it won't accept incoming
ftp
> > > connections.

> > > My /etc/inetd.conf  file has the following lines in it:

> > > ftp       stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd
  in.ftpd -l -a
> > > telnet   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.telnetd

> > > telnet works fine, but whenever I ftp to the machihne it won't accept
> > > connections!

> > > Please help,

> > > Paul

> > Do you have an ftp daemon installed?  Is there a firewall blocking port
> 21?

> > --
> > Stephen Williams

> > * I've tried killing time, but it keeps making a comeback.

1. FTP won't accept incoming connections

Anytime anyone tries to ftp into my machine it gives them the error message:
"FTP server shutdown, try again later."
But I can ftp out just fine.  I've looked through all the config files and
can't find anything wrong.
I would greatly appreciate any help.
-Vincent Thompson
--------------------------------

--------------------------------

2. DAC960 RAID Controller

3. Box won't accept some remote connections

4. Boot problem with inittab (continued from last week...)

5. Why won't LPD accept remote connections?

6. A business case for open source

7. HELP!! Apache suddenly won't accept connections!!

8. ipsec routing

9. help! won't accept network connection

10. Can't get FTP service to accept connections

11. ftp.cdrom.com isn't accepting ftp logins

12. ftp.internat.freebsd.org not accepting passive data connections

13. ftp/telnet not accepting connections