spare box for linux use: suggestions?

Post by Jim Clayso » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:00:32

Hi,

I have a spare amd k2500 pc with all standard components except a cdrom.

How could I put this machine to good use in a home office environment. I
currently have two other machines networked (no hub yet).

I've sort of gather that I can do an install of linux over a network.
What are the basic semantics(principles) at work here. Is it
complicated?

I currently use my home network for trying out the latest J2EE
technologies and open source web projects .i.e. Apache, tomcat, JBoss,
postgresql and OpenLDAP.

Any suggestions as to how I could put this extra machine to good use?
(maybe run something which is cpu and/or memory intensive on the machine
with the best spec and run components like webserver and servlet engine
on the spare box? Or run the xserver alone so that I can actually run
StarOffice with it becoming all-consuming)

Cheers
Jim

spare box for linux use: suggestions?

Post by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidde » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:14:22

Behold! For Jim Clayson declaimed:

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a spare amd k2500 pc with all standard components except a cdrom.

> How could I put this machine to good use in a home office environment. I
> currently have two other machines networked (no hub yet).

You obviously would have to buy a hub/switch (or put two network cards into
that computer but that'd be a bit overkill)

Possible uses:
 - Fileserver, perhaps only to back up your home directory to it (you
don't do backups that right now, do you?)
 - Printserver (Myself, I bought a dedicated printserver which has the
advantage of being noiseless.)
 - internet access router - connect the modem/whatever to this pc and
install NAT. So the two workstations can use a shared network connection.
 - db server, web server, mail server, news server, ...
 - cvs server

Quote:> I've sort of gather that I can do an install of linux over a network.
> What are the basic semantics(principles) at work here. Is it
> complicated?

It works ok. (I've tried Debian. Others should work, too). But it's
probably easier (and in any case, much faster) to temporarily install a
CD drive.

Quote:

> I currently use my home network for trying out the latest J2EE
> technologies and open source web projects .i.e. Apache, tomcat, JBoss,
> postgresql and OpenLDAP.

If you are developping software you'll want to use cvs - I use a few
diffeerent machines to develop my software and with cvs - besides being
able to track the changes to every file I've made - I don't have to care
about the different development accounts staying in sync.

Quote:

> Any suggestions as to how I could put this extra machine to good use?
> (maybe run something which is cpu and/or memory intensive on the machine
> with the best spec and run components like webserver and servlet engine
> on the spare box? Or run the xserver alone so that I can actually run
> StarOffice with it becoming all-consuming)

You could, of course, set up a relatively slow machine (with the best
graphics card you've got) as a diskless (and therefore almost noiseless) X
Terminal, using the faster machine as application server and put it in another
room. It's some major trickery involved there, though. But you'll learn a lot in
the process.

-- vbi

spare box for linux use: suggestions?

Post by Dave Robbin » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 01:42:52

you can give it to me :)

ill pay shipping....

--
          a8888b.
         d888888b.

         8`._,' Y8.
        d/      `8b.
       dP   .    Y8b.
      d8:'  "  `::88b
     d8"         'Y88b
    :8P    '      :888
     88888a:     _a88P
   ._/"Yaa_:   .| 88P|
   \    YP"    `| 8P  `.
   /     \.___.d|    .'
  `--..___)8888P`._.'

-------------

Tech Support Scenario:

Customer: Im running windows...
Tech: Yes...
Customer: My computer isnt working now...
Tech: Yes, you said that

-------------

Dave Robbins

1. Using my linux box as a digital VHS... need software suggestions.

Hi,

I recently took on the project of using a linux machine I have hanging
around the office (Debian) as a digital video recorder. Basically I
got tired of people logging off the windows machine I was using, or
the tasks not running correctly, or whatever.

I've got my v4l interface running, I can watch TV, and now what I need
is capture software. Everything I've tried seems to have a fatal error
or two.

So far:

1. xawtv doesn't run (it kills my system)
2. avicap doesn't run (same thing)
3. dvr won't compile (seems to have a problem with libavifile 0.7.29)
4. vcr won't compile (also seems to be a problem with libavifile)
5. freevo works real nice, but it gets no signal
6. fame captures ok, but the audio is desynched from the video.

I dunno... I'm pretty much stuck in the software department I guess.

Any additional programs I can try? What I need is a console-based
program, that'll simply take my video and audio, compress it into an
AVI or MPG file (DivX would be nice, but I can always recompress
later), without the audio lagging 15 seconds behind the video. I don't
need to monitor the captured video, just need it to end up on my hard
disk. Oh, and the program needs to be cron-compatible (at the least it
needs to respond well to a kill signal).

Any ideas?

2. Java plug-in for Netscape?

3. Printing using lpd from linux box to OS/2 box

4. Copying complete linux system to another harddisk

5. Linux Box to NT Box using crossover cable

6. can't do man

7. Problems with using PLIP between a Dos box and a Linux box, PLEASE help!

8. /usr/bin/time interpretation

9. Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

10. Is it possible to block Viruses using SPI (Stateful packet inspection) using Linux box

11. 20 Modems on a Linux Box...any suggestions??

12. Cluster of linux boxes: Suggestions

13. Any suggestions for mounting NT shares on linux box?