What is PARSE...???

Post by root » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hey there,

At the risk of sounding very stupid, I'm going to ask what "parse"
means...???   Until recently, I assumed that it meant to "channel" or
"funnel" data/code from one component to another...  For example, I used
the context of Apache parsing php embedded data through PHP for
processing....  But lately I've been seeing parse errors and the like
coming from MySQL...  Unless MySQL is parsing to another component, then
I am completely wrong in my assumption of the definition....*s*

Just between you and me, I think I'm wrong again...*wink*  He he...

Sincerely,
Trevor...

What is PARSE...???

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>At the risk of sounding very stupid, I'm going to ask what "parse"
>means...???

Parsing is the act of breaking up an input character stream into its
component parts (keywords, input values, etc.), usually breaking the
text into tokens (groups of one or more characters) on spaces or on
other special characters (commas, End-of-Lines, etc.).

Anything which has to pick off a number of keywords or expected values
from a text stream (usually a data file) will have a parser.

One of the best examples of software that has to parse data is the C
compiler that probably came with your Linux distribution.  During the
process of compiling a program, it has to parse the data present in
each source file in order to identify all of the C keywords, comments,
variables, and so on.

--

      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

What is PARSE...???

Post by Justin L Werne » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Parsing is the act of breaking up an input character stream into its
> component parts (keywords, input values, etc.), usually breaking the
> text into tokens (groups of one or more characters) on spaces or on
> other special characters (commas, End-of-Lines, etc.).

  Actually, this is lexical analysis.  Parsing is application of
  syntactical and semantic analysis.

--
Justin L Werner               HP-UX Sustaining Engineering

  "My opinions are my own; Lucent won't buy them from me"

What is PARSE...???

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hey there,

> At the risk of sounding very stupid, I'm going to ask what "parse"
> means...???   Until recently, I assumed that it meant to "channel" or
> "funnel" data/code from one component to another...  For example, I used
> the context of Apache parsing php embedded data through PHP for
> processing....  But lately I've been seeing parse errors and the like
> coming from MySQL...  Unless MySQL is parsing to another component, then
> I am completely wrong in my assumption of the definition....*s*

Have you tried looking in a dictionary? My dictionary has a definition
for both `parse' and `parser'.

Erik

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

1. lex/yacc parsing: ending parse with yywrap?

I'm parsing a config file with lex/yacc, but for some reason it tries
to keep going after it reaches EOF.  It's correctly calling yywrap when
EOF is detected, but I'm closing yyin and returning 1 in yywrap and it
still keeps going.  With yydebug on it looks like:

[Lots of yydebug stmts: shifts, reads, reduces, working correctly]
yywrap
yydebug: state 14, reading 0 (end-of-file)
syntax error
yydebug: error recovery discarding state 14
[Error recovery, then bails because yyparse returns 1]

I tried putting in a <<EOF>> state in the lexer, but it didn't
help, even though it was properly detected.  I must be missing
something stupid here -- help?

TIA --

--

WWW: http://www.primus.com/staff/paulp/       PHONE: (619) 220-0850

--
"Just where in the constitution does it explain this ludicrous concept of
 bills being passed into law without a presidential signature or a

2. RH7.2: CD hungs my PC

4. configuring /dev/lp1

5. ftp w/restricted directory access?

7. **** USER PERMISSIONS ****