Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

Post by Andreas Kle » Wed, 11 Aug 1993 22:16:03

Hello !

I want to use a ramdisk device for /tmp ...
in /usr/src/linux/Makefile I saw a define RAMDISK=... no. of blocks ...

For what porposes can I use the ramdisk and how can I use it.
Mount it under /tmp .... ???

Tanks in advance

        Andreas
--
Andreas Klemm - 40469 Norf - Germany - phone: +49/ 2137 12609

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. tool support porting Solaris -> Linux

3. Problem upgrading kernel and making initial ramdisk & kernel.

4. 630MP boot fail, "runpoll: timeout...."

5. - ramdisk.image.gz (0/78) Re: potato on beige G3: where is ramdisk?

6. Sparc 5 and RHL-4.2 Help

7. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk

8. Slackware IP clients to SAMBA server

9. init ramdisk vs. root ramdisk

10. ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size

11. making /tmp a ramdisk?

12. Problems making ramdisk boot floppy

13. Making boot-floppy w/ ramdisk as root