/etc/issue question

Post by Matt » Fri, 04 May 2001 00:55:03

When you change the text of the /etc/issue file, do you need to restart
something for the message to get picked up?  I've made a change to the
message, and it's not being sent when connecting to the box.  The old
message is still there.  Red Hat 7 gnu/linux.

Thanks much,

Matt

/etc/issue question

Post by Matt » Fri, 04 May 2001 01:27:02

Didn't know about the issue.net file.  Thanks.

-Matt

Quote:> When you change the text of the /etc/issue file, do you need to restart
> something for the message to get picked up?  I've made a change to the
> message, and it's not being sent when connecting to the box.  The old
> message is still there.  Red Hat 7 gnu/linux.

> Thanks much,

> Matt

/etc/issue question

Post by Vilmos Sot » Fri, 04 May 2001 02:47:37

> Didn't know about the issue.net file.  Thanks.

> -Matt

> > When you change the text of the /etc/issue file, do you need to restart
> > something for the message to get picked up?  I've made a change to the
> > message, and it's not being sent when connecting to the box.  The old
> > message is still there.  Red Hat 7 gnu/linux.

Also don't forget that this file gets overwritten with each reboot.
Look for /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Vilmos

/etc/issue question

Post by zhaohu » Wed, 23 May 2001 13:06:23

> > Didn't know about the issue.net file.  Thanks.

> > -Matt

> > > When you change the text of the /etc/issue file, do you need to restart
> > > something for the message to get picked up?  I've made a change to the
> > > message, and it's not being sent when connecting to the box.  The old
> > > message is still there.  Red Hat 7 gnu/linux.

> Also don't forget that this file gets overwritten with each reboot.
> Look for /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> Vilmos

you must rewrite the /etc/rc.d/rc.local
the file /etc/issue is writed by the rc.local when the computer boot.

best wishs
zhaohui

1. /etc/issue Question...

All:

How do i change the 'issue' file in /etc to not be over written, I
want to provide a custom message instead of Linux overwriting it with
the Kernel version everytime.  I know this has a simple anwser, I
forgot how to do it, thanks...

JeremyO

2. ftape and linux-1.1.45

3. /etc/issue question and telnet

4. crt1.o

5. /etc/issue question...

6. send/recv socket calls

7. /etc/issue question and telnet

8. __FUNCTION__ issue (tekram)

9. Stupid login tricks (/etc/issue question)

10. Adding clear screen to /etc/issue & /etc/issue.net

11. KDE3/RH 7.2 paths issue - icons for apps issues etc.

12. No /etc/issue issued on remote connections...

13. Update: Stale mount point issue in Solaris 2.8 (/etc/mnttab issue)