intelligent multiport serial boards

Post by Christopher L » Tue, 06 Jul 1993 06:50:41

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ, so here goes:

Is there any support in Linux for intelligent multiport serial boards?
Specifically the CompuTone 16 port and the DigiBoard 16 port boards.
I've got drivers for Xenix, SCO Unix and ESIX- could any of these be
used under Linux (I'm thinking of the xenix executable beta)?  If I'm
able to get the sources, how much work would it be to make it run
under Linux?

Thanks
c4

--
Christopher Lau                      |    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor,
The University of Calgary            |    not an engineer!

intelligent multiport serial boards

Post by Derek Bischo » Thu, 08 Jul 1993 01:35:02

 -=> Quoting Christopher Lau to All <=-

 CL> I couldn't find anything in the FAQ, so here goes:

 CL> Is there any support in Linux for intelligent multiport serial boards?
 CL> Specifically the CompuTone 16 port and the DigiBoard 16 port boards.
 CL> I've got drivers for Xenix, SCO Unix and ESIX- could any of these be
 CL> used under Linux (I'm thinking of the xenix executable beta)?  If I'm
 CL> able to get the sources, how much work would it be to make it run
 CL> under Linux?

 CL> Thanks
 CL> c4

 CL> --
 CL> Christopher Lau                      |    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor,
 CL> The University of Calgary            |    not an engineer!
 CL> Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engg. |    Well, you're an engineer

 CL> -!-
 CL>  ! Origin: psybbs.durham.nc.us == 919-286-4542 == Psychotronic BBS
 CL> (1:3641/1)

intelligent multiport serial boards

Post by Derek Bischo » Thu, 08 Jul 1993 01:36:03

If will stir up a response,
I too would like any info on the Computone 16's, and if there
are drivers available.  I hate to think that I need to get OS2

... or God, help me, NT

1. high speed serial boards (was Re: Multiport serial boards)

I am interested to hear more info on the Ethernet based terminal servers
mentioned above for the low entry models.

In fact I have the following situation: one linux box used to link via
SLIP serial connections and LEASED lines my LAN with two other LAN'S
(at both other ends of the lines there are linux boxes). The connections
use two pairs of Penril modems (for leased lines) and some home made
scripts (usual slattach, ifconfig and route stuff). All three serial ports
on the main linux box are now used.
Now all three linux boxes serial boards don't support more than 9600 bps
while the modems support 28,8 kbps and I would like to rise the speed
of the serial lines.

For the moment I don't have a good idea how to do it. Indeed using
terminal servers could turn to be not only expensive but also could lead
to some routing problems. On the other hand using high speed serial boards
could lead to problems concerning the special drivers and the fact that
here I don't seek the usual "logging (dialing) into a linux box process" but
connecting LAN's 24 hours per day with a resonable automatized mechanism
of recovery in case of failure.

If someone can help me with these problems, please reply also to:

Thank you.
Nicolae Mihalache

Institut de Mathematiques de Jussieu

2. LILO: Non-contiguous SCSI IDs don't work!

3. Boca Board Multiport Serial Board

4. mounting problem and real time kernel

5. Intelligent multiport serial: Cyclades or Comtrol?

6. Question on Nvidia drivers with Suse 7.0

7. Intelligent Multiport Serial Cards for PCs running Linux

8. Apache Proxy Cache

9. Release of the Comtrol Rocketport Intelligent Serial Board driver.

10. Q: Stable Dialin Intelligent Multi Serial Board?

11. Buffered Intelligent Multi Serial Board

12. Intelligent Serial Boards -- Reccomendations/Horror Stories

13. Linux and intelligent serial boards