ncurses problems with SLS

Post by Mark Warr » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 01:22:39

I tryed compiling pcomm using ncurses, and when I started it,
the only thing it did was to print the message

        couldn't open file.

This highly informative message comes from ncurses, so in desperation
I grabbed the ncurses sources from tsx-11, made & installed, then made
the ncurses, *NONE* of which work at all.

Are there known problems here, or am I doing something wildly wrong?

BTW, if you want to reply by mail, please use the Reply-To: address.

Thanks in advance,

ncurses problems with SLS

Post by Tor Arnts » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 05:03:11

>I tryed compiling pcomm using ncurses, and when I started it,
>the only thing it did was to print the message

>    couldn't open file.

[rest deleted]

Try 'strace pcomm'  when you want to check what's *really* going on..

I had the same problem for an ncurses based program.  strace gave me:
open("/usr/lib/terminfo/x/xterm", RDONLY) = -1 (No such file or directory)
write(2, "couldn't open file.\n", 20couldn't open file.
) = 20

Seems like ncurses wants an unknown terminfo file.. probably something
that has to be installed.

Followup set to comp.os.linux.misc
| Tor Arntsen   -  Spacetec A.S, N-9005 Tromso, Norway +47-83-84500  |

| Linux user                                                         |
| #include <disclaimer.h>                                            |

ncurses problems with SLS

Post by Robert Brought » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 09:34:13

Quote:> Mark Warren writes:

> I tryed compiling pcomm using ncurses, and when I started it,
> the only thing it did was to print the message

>         couldn't open file.

> This highly informative message comes from ncurses, so in desperation
> I grabbed the ncurses sources from tsx-11, made & installed, then made
> the ncurses, *NONE* of which work at all.

> Are there known problems here, or am I doing something wildly wrong?

I would say there's a high likelihood that you don't have read permission for
whichever terminfo file you're (unconsciously) trying to use. Type:

        echo $TERM

The result will probably be "console". Type:

        find /usr/lib/terminfo -name console -print

then chmod a+r for anything that turns up.
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"We calm and reassure. We embrace people with the message that we're
all in it together. That our leaders are infallible and that there is
nothing, absolutely nothing wrong." - Miles Drentell, _thirtysomething_

1. Ncurses.4 s ncurse.5

I have a redhat 6.2 system with ncurse.so.4.  RPMs are starting to appear that
require ncurses.so.5. But when I try in install 5 it wants to remove version 4
and it says many thing are dependant on 4 (XFree being one of the more
import ones). I installed 5 usign the --nodeps option but that just made
everything that was dependant on 4 stop working so I reverted. Since apps
seem to look for the speific version is there any way to have both installed?
How does one move from version 4 to 5?

2. running vmstat for one hour

3. Upgrade SLS 0.96 to SLS 0.98

4. How upgradable are Linux kernels?

5. can't run Xfree from SLS on NEC Ultralite SL/25C

6. Running PPP as a user???

7. SLS update: SLS 1.02 / 99p9 kernel

8. Uneducated Newbie's First Posting

9. (Correction+Update) SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for $85.5 or 52.00!!

10. Apache: Getting rid of .sl suffix binding to text/vnd.wap.sl type

11. Differences between SLS .99pl9-1 and SLS .99pl11

12. How to upgrade from SLS 1.03 to SLS 1.05

13. SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for a total of US$85.5!!!