linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by Gregory Gaskil » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 04:16:29

Hi,

I've installed linux many times with various dual and triple boot
configurations, but made a BIG mistake while installing red hat 6.2 on a
friends win98 machine. The PC had one 9GB fat32 partition, which my friend
resized to 7.5GB using partition magic 5.0, leaving 1.5GB for linux. I then
installed linux using disk druid to create boot, root, and swap partitions
and then completed the custom installation without any problems sticking
LILO on the MBR. Linux booted fine and mounted the win98 partition fine so I
thought I was about done. Finally, I rebooted to make sure win98 was ok and
it would not boot! No error message or anything...it just hangs. I wasn't
sure what was going on, but I had made a linux boot disk so I decided to
just fix the problem (win98 is needed by my friend for school, linux was for
fun) by booting with a win98 boot disk and running fdisk /mbr to restore the
MBR allowing win98 to boot. The boot disk did the same thing...just hangs.
I've never seen this...where a boot disk won't even work! Same thing happens
when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could be,
I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said NOT to
use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized by
Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if anyone
knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero! Linux
booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried
everything I can think of.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by Lyndo » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 04:33:14

Hello,

I suggest you try the following. No guarantee it will work but I did a
similar thing to my computer a few months back and it worked after the
third try.

If you have a tape drive, or a cd-rw drive, back-up your whole Win98
from Linux into a tape cartlidge or CD-RW disk. Use tar; in Konsole
type: tar -czvf ......(see man for details).

You may also simply copy (while in Linux) everything in your Win98 to a
tape or CD-RW without zipping(compression).

Reboot computer into DOS using a Win98 rescue floppy. Reformat the Win98
partition (that 7.5GB partition) using that old but reliable DOS based
fdisk. Reinstall Win98 (from your Win98 Setup CDROM) into that 7.5GB
partition to restore the MBR. You need to do this just to restore the
MBR. Then boot into linux from your Linux rescue floppy. Then while in
Linux, restore your LILO into the MBR making sure you have an entry in
there for Win98 and Floppy.

Then while still in Linux, delete everything in your 7.5GB partition
(the Win98 you just installed). Your actually just deleting the contents
of your Win98 partition but not the MBR.

Boot into Linux and restore your original Win98 from your tape or cd-rw
backup.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

> Hi,

> I've installed linux many times with various dual and triple boot
> configurations, but made a BIG mistake while installing red hat 6.2 on a
> friends win98 machine. The PC had one 9GB fat32 partition, which my friend
> resized to 7.5GB using partition magic 5.0, leaving 1.5GB for linux. I then
> installed linux using disk druid to create boot, root, and swap partitions
> and then completed the custom installation without any problems sticking
> LILO on the MBR. Linux booted fine and mounted the win98 partition fine so I
> thought I was about done. Finally, I rebooted to make sure win98 was ok and
> it would not boot! No error message or anything...it just hangs. I wasn't
> sure what was going on, but I had made a linux boot disk so I decided to
> just fix the problem (win98 is needed by my friend for school, linux was for
> fun) by booting with a win98 boot disk and running fdisk /mbr to restore the
> MBR allowing win98 to boot. The boot disk did the same thing...just hangs.
> I've never seen this...where a boot disk won't even work! Same thing happens
> when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could be,
> I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
> win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said NOT to
> use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized by
> Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
> don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if anyone
> knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero! Linux
> booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
> linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried
> everything I can think of.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by elmi » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 05:33:39

Quote:>Hi,

>I've installed linux many times with various dual and triple boot
>configurations, but made a BIG mistake while installing red hat 6.2 on a
>friends win98 machine. The PC had one 9GB fat32 partition, which my friend
>resized to 7.5GB using partition magic 5.0, leaving 1.5GB for linux. I then
>installed linux using disk druid to create boot, root, and swap partitions
>and then completed the custom installation without any problems sticking
>LILO on the MBR. Linux booted fine and mounted the win98 partition fine so I
>thought I was about done. Finally, I rebooted to make sure win98 was ok and
>it would not boot! No error message or anything...it just hangs. I wasn't
>sure what was going on, but I had made a linux boot disk so I decided to
>just fix the problem (win98 is needed by my friend for school, linux was for
>fun) by booting with a win98 boot disk and running fdisk /mbr to restore the
>MBR allowing win98 to boot. The boot disk did the same thing...just hangs.
>I've never seen this...where a boot disk won't even work! Same thing happens
>when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could be,
>I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
>win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said NOT to
>use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized by
>Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
>don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if anyone
>knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero! Linux
>booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
>linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried
>everything I can think of.

Once i had a similar problem. I used partition magic and win98 didn't boot.

The solution was: go straight to linux, run fdisk and check the win98
partition. During resize the type has changed to "Win98 Hidden". Then i
changed the type to the normal and made it bootable. Et voila...

+----------------------------------+
| elmig                            |

| http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931 |
|                                  |
| "Simple, but yet... stupid!"     |
+----------------------------------+

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by Gregory Gaskil » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 05:39:52

Thanks for the idea but at this point I can't even boot the PC to a DOS
prompt with a win98 rescue disk...it just hangs exactly like it does when I
try and boot it into win98 with LILO. Thats what has me so stumped...I
thought you could ALWAYS boot with a windows rescue disk! If I could boot
with a rescue disk I'm pretty sure fdisk /mbr would fix the partition table
and let me boot it directly into windows, or linux with the boot disk. I
can't reinstall win98 if I can't get a dos prompt....

Thanks again for the info though....

> [...]

happens
> > when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could
be,
> > I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
> > win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said
NOT to
> > use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized
by
> > Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
> > don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if
anyone
> > knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero!
Linux
> > booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
> > linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried

Post by Gregory Gaskil » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:31:34

I fixed the MBR and wanted to share how I did it as I'm sure this has
happened to others. First, I booted into linux (only place I could boot to!)
and ran fdisk and saved the partition table thinking maybe it would "fix"
the problems with the master boot record. No luck...still could not boot
win98 or even a rescue disk. I then did the same thing with linux
cfdisk...viewed the partition table and then had the program write out the
table as if I had made changes. It gave some error like "table written, but
cannot be re-read". I rebooted and could finally boot to a win98 recuse
disk. From there, I ran fdisk /mbr and rebooted to the machine straight into
win98. Linux can still be booted from the boot disk I made during
installation, so I'm leaving it at that as it's not even my computer and I
am sick of messing with it! But I guess cfdisk did the magic trick!

Quote:> Hi,

> I've installed linux many times with various dual and triple boot
> configurations, but made a BIG mistake while installing red hat 6.2 on a
> friends win98 machine. The PC had one 9GB fat32 partition, which my friend
> resized to 7.5GB using partition magic 5.0, leaving 1.5GB for linux. I
then
> installed linux using disk druid to create boot, root, and swap partitions
> and then completed the custom installation without any problems sticking
> LILO on the MBR. Linux booted fine and mounted the win98 partition fine so
> thought I was about done. Finally, I rebooted to make sure win98 was ok
and
> it would not boot! No error message or anything...it just hangs. I wasn't
> sure what was going on, but I had made a linux boot disk so I decided to
> just fix the problem (win98 is needed by my friend for school, linux was
for
> fun) by booting with a win98 boot disk and running fdisk /mbr to restore
the
> MBR allowing win98 to boot. The boot disk did the same thing...just hangs.
> I've never seen this...where a boot disk won't even work! Same thing
happens
> when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could
be,
> I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
> win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said NOT
> use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized by
> Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
> don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if anyone
> knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero!
Linux
> booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
> linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried
> everything I can think of.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by Lyndo » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 08:30:10

Sound weird. Are you sure your computer boots from your floppy drive
(looks in the floppy disk in your floppy drive to see if it is bootable)
first before it tries to boot from your HD? Keep me updated if you may.
Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Post by Hereward Coope » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 01:02:41

> Hi,

> I've installed linux many times with various dual and triple boot
> configurations, but made a BIG mistake while installing red hat 6.2 on a
> friends win98 machine. The PC had one 9GB fat32 partition, which my friend
> resized to 7.5GB using partition magic 5.0, leaving 1.5GB for linux. I then
> installed linux using disk druid to create boot, root, and swap partitions
> and then completed the custom installation without any problems sticking
> LILO on the MBR. Linux booted fine and mounted the win98 partition fine so I
> thought I was about done. Finally, I rebooted to make sure win98 was ok and
> it would not boot! No error message or anything...it just hangs. I wasn't
> sure what was going on, but I had made a linux boot disk so I decided to
> just fix the problem (win98 is needed by my friend for school, linux was for
> fun) by booting with a win98 boot disk and running fdisk /mbr to restore the
> MBR allowing win98 to boot. The boot disk did the same thing...just hangs.
> I've never seen this...where a boot disk won't even work! Same thing happens
> when booting to a win98 cd. After thinking about what the problem could be,
> I checked out the Partition Magic website and down at the bottom of a
> win98/linux dual boot tutorial (that I wish I had read first) it said NOT to
> use linux partitioning tools (fdisk, disk druid) on partitions resized by
> Partition Magic, or other partitions would be unbootable. Of course they
> don't mention how to fix this if you DO use the linux tools. So if anyone
> knows how to restore the win98 MBR at this point, you will be my hero! Linux
> booting from a floppy is acceptable...and my friend is not ready to use
> linux as her only OS. Thanks in advance for ANY ideas...I've tried
> everything I can think of.

I've had a simalar problem but not when installing, it was because the
BIOS changed the type of HDD (ie normal, large, lba, etc) and the computer hang
when it got to the lilo prompt. I changed the type and it worked OK.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by cpung.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:15:02

Hey
Well, you should probably try what the other
replies state,
I'm simply offering an explaination why thit
happened.
First off, I had a similar thing happen to me. I
used FIPS
after defragging the drive and set out a 1.5 gig
part
for Linux. Tried to reboot Winblows, and nothing.
So I used a
boot floppy (mine worked) and ran scandisk, which
freaked out because the file sys flags were outta
whack, which is logical. Then it ERASED my vfat
part. Gone. So I reinstalled
Win98. IMMEDIATELY after the reinstall, I ran a
defrag
and paused it. Show details. I scrolled down and
check the
install. Everything was ok, the data ended after
the first eighth of the drive. But, I had a
feeling..... Scrolling down, I found NO
data at all, UNTIL THE LAST TWO LINES OF THE
DRIVE.
There I found a SINGLE LINE of data, data which
could have gone at the beginning like the rest,
but no. Personally, I think
MS did it to block programs like FIPS. I studied
the vfat file system, and while I could be wrong (
please feel free to correct me) , what I read was
that vfat creates a "header", which stores all
info like media size, block size, error messages
and such ( saw this personally using Hexworkshop
on a vfat formatted floppy), leaving the rest
empty. Now, what and why MS decided to put at the
END OF THE DRIVE is beyond me. I even called them
and asked, just what it was that HAD to go at the
end, but they refused to say ( very rude people,
those MS people).
So, there is my badly written/probably wrong
explaination to why this happened. I dunno. Maybe
my problem was different.
Thats the fun of Linux! Hacking our own comps to
learn why they do the sometimes stupid things they
do!
C. Pungent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by AntiHuma » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:42:36

i ran FIPS on an MS-DOS 6.22, installed linux and then windows.
there was no problem in MS-DOS so if you are right it is some MS win
shit.

--
Programming is just like taking *,
only that in programming it's the hangover

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by r00.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:05:18

Hi,

I understood that you tried to repair your MBR whith fdisk?
WRONG!! It CLEANS the hole stuff again.

You may wanna check your own lilo.conf on hexadecimal numbers to tell
lilo what to look for on the fat partition.
You can just copy the stuff over (the windows part) and with the right
hd assigned it should work!

Much luck and Houdoei!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

linux - win98 partition DOOM! help!

Post by Joe Croni » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:12:56

Not sure if this helps.. but their is an un-documented command for win/dos
fdisk command. use the /mbr command to restore the mbr on the disk.. then
win/dos will boot. You will have to boot with a dos boot disk to do this..
Then boot with a linux boot disk and reset up lilo...

Good luck...

Joe

> Hi,

> I understood that you tried to repair your MBR whith fdisk?
> WRONG!! It CLEANS the hole stuff again.

> You may wanna check your own lilo.conf on hexadecimal numbers to tell
> lilo what to look for on the fat partition.
> You can just copy the stuff over (the windows part) and with the right
> hd assigned it should work!

> Much luck and Houdoei!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Help in creating a share partition between Win98 and Linux

Hi, I am new to Linux and have just installed Red Hat 5.2 in one of my
machine with a single 1.6GB HDD, which is dual-boot with Win98 (FAT16).
The partition table from Linux's fdisk is shown as below:

Device        Boot           Blocks         ID    Type

hda1            *              461664         6        DOS 16bit >=
32MB       (win98)
hda2                            1193472       5        Extended
hda5                            221444         83      Linux
native                    (/boot)
hda6                            155200+       83      Linux
native                    (/home)
hda7                            195520+       6        DOS 16bit
hda8                            102784+       82      swap
hda9                            717664+       83
native                               (/)

Partitions hda5, hda6, hda7, hda8, hda9 were created by using Linux's
Disk Druid. I deliberately created hda7 as a DOS FAT16 >= 32MB partition
so that it can be shared by both Linux and Win98. After the Linux
installation process finished, I reboot the machine and boot into win98.
Now it can see hda7 as D: but it can not read it (because it should be
formatted in Linux's own file system)

So, in order to make it a share partition, what should I do? I don't
mind reinstall Linux as it has got nothing inside yet. Should I create
the sharing partition in DOS and mount the partition in Linux later? But
the /boot partition will be exceeding the 1024th cylinder limitation.

Thanks in advance!!

Samuel

2. Powerpath and AIX

3. Help in creating a share partition for Linux and Win98

4. Problem: 4.7-Stable, Linux Emulation, and the latest Sun JDK

5. doom doom doom...site

6. Linux supported printers

7. NEED HELP: Win98 sees Linux Partition, how to fix

8. Xterm for Windows

9. doom doom doom...site

10. DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

11. HELP ME , WIN98 FAT32 AND 4 PARTITIONS ,LINUX HOW

12. Help: Win98 crash trashes MBR and partition table; Linux wont boot

13. WIN98 FAT32 & 4 PARTITIONS , LINUX HOW , HELP!!!!!!!!!!!