making console user own device

Post by DemOS » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:23:41

Id like to have certain devices owned by whomever is logged in on the system console - serial ports and sound devices to be exact.

While its great fun to "cat/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" from a ssh session while someone else is playing RTCW, or start mpg123 from school, it gets annoying. Also, id rather not have someone outside the room be able to send data through the lego mindstorms ir tower, or echo something into the serial port my palm pilot is syncing on. Its a definate no-no to login as root to sync the palm, but having global rw permissions on the serial port is equally scary.

Since obviously only the person on the system console can physically access these devices, it makes sense that they should have exclusive rights to them (with the exception of root ofcourse). Unless there is some security problem I'm not thinking of, making the console user own these devices makes sense.

Is there an easy way of setting this up? How would it be set up? Script that runs on each login and logout perhaps?

~ Juha "DemOSh" Sorensen
demosh at home dot com :: www.lowping.com/demosh

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.
                -- Wernher von Braun

making console user own device

Post by Shaw » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:50:36

See  "man pam_console" - allows you to give somebody logged in on the
console special permissions as controled by the file
/etc/security/console.perms

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt   C.E.O. Belcarra Messaging Corp.

Embedded Linux Systems: Design, Creation, Integration
Specializing in USB, Flash, and all things TCP/IP

Quote:

> Id like to have certain devices owned by whomever is logged in on the

system console - serial ports and sound devices to be exact.
Quote:

> While its great fun to "cat/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" from a ssh session

while someone else is playing RTCW, or start mpg123 from school, it gets
annoying. Also, id rather not have someone outside the room be able to send
data through the lego mindstorms ir tower, or echo something into the serial
port my palm pilot is syncing on. Its a definate no-no to login as root to
sync the palm, but having global rw permissions on the serial port is
equally scary.
Quote:

> Since obviously only the person on the system console can physically

access these devices, it makes sense that they should have exclusive rights
to them (with the exception of root ofcourse). Unless there is some security
problem I'm not thinking of, making the console user own these devices makes
sense.
Quote:

> Is there an easy way of setting this up? How would it be set up? Script

that runs on each login and logout perhaps?
Quote:

> ~ Juha "DemOSh" Sorensen
> demosh at home dot com :: www.lowping.com/demosh

> Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
> only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.
>                 -- Wernher von Braun

1. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

  Recently purchased a chinon 4X CDrom that isn't recognized  by any of the existing device
drivers in /dev.  I called Chinon and asked if they planned on creating a Unix driver or
specifically a Linux driver.  They said no on Unix and that theyd never heard of Linux.  Now
I'm having them send me the programming specs for my drive.  To the point..anyone out there
managed to create their own device driver for linux yet?  Anyone out the know where I can
get the source for a functioning CDrom device driver to pattern mine after?

Thanks,
Steve Brague

2. Ksh-like line editing in Zsh

3. New: sym53c8xx module doesn't load

4. making directories owned by other user

5. Solaris on Laptops

6. Linux: console owned by user?

7. ipfwadm - getting "protocol not available" error - suggestions ?

8. User id aliases for email - should users roll their own?

9. Device name for console devices?

10. Making seleted user root user

11. How to call by phone my own pc and made hime to establish a connection ?

12. Making my own Linux CD