modifying X for a new graphics card.. how?

modifying X for a new graphics card.. how?

Post by Adam Schuet » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:18:48

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a new graphics card.  I have a line
on a (3d labs? ) oxygen 64MB card.  Ruling!

Assuming that X supports this card (I will check the xfree86
site), what steps do I need to follow to configure/modify X on
my machine?

I am using redhat, so I assume that whatever I do, I'll need to
do it with rpms.

Does anybody have a link that details the various things that
would need to be done?

If I understand X properly, there are various server types for
different graphics chips.  So, I'd need to get the appropriate
server for the oxygen card, and then configure (with xf85config
? I think this is the config program, it's been -soo- long since
I've done this stuff).  Is there anything else I should be aware
of?

How do I go about the server upgrade?  Do you just install over
top the old one?

any help/links would be appreciated.

later,

--

        Get my pgp keys at http://www.adam-schuetze.org

                   -  pgp fingerprints  -
rsa: B8 80 DA D6 BB CA 80 5F C5 68 1C 08 FE 3E 65 1C
dss: 46 CB B3 C3 A1 C9 BA 57 7C B4 A1 6A BF 8F 2D 95 2B 7A 1D 77

1. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

I'm looking at getting a new PC which will be running both linux (have yet
to work out which distribution) and NT. While I don't expect help on driver
information for the NT side I would appreciate advice on which graphic &
sound cards either don't work or only partially work with linux.

On the graphics side I am thinking of a creative labs banshee, a matrox
millennium G200 or mystique G200 or the new riva card.

On the sound side I'm thinking of the soundblaster awe 64 value pci.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul

2. Software Inventory

3. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

4. Q: Diskless 4/110 problem

5. READ THIS: XFree86 with new graphics cards...

6. Koffice 1.1 is out

7. LOoking for Advice on a NEW graphics card!!!!!!!

8. detecting memory leaks

9. Problem with X and new graphics card

10. New Graphics card

11. Which graphics card for a new Linux machine?

12. New graphics card + XFree86 issues

13. new graphics cards