CIRRUS or VESA with linux ?

Post by ROUSSEAU Ala » Fri, 28 May 1993 18:52:13

We are have linux on a pc with a CIRRUS card (VESA compatible)
and we are unable to use XWindows because we didn't succeeded in
modyfing our Xconfig file for it. Does anybody has modified his Xconfig
in order it works with a CIRRUS or a VESA.
It raises an important problem : in linux version 1.0, there must be a
large database of the most used video cards and if possible automatic
detection of the video cards. In an easy-to-install version of linux
we can not indeed ask people to wonder about video cards frequencies and have
the risk to burn their monitor. So, it would be a good thing to collect
all the configurations for video cards that have been made.
Don't consider that as a flam but just as a common sense remark.

Alain Rousseau

CIRRUS or VESA with linux ?

Post by John E. Krok » Sat, 29 May 1993 13:52:12

>We are have linux on a pc with a CIRRUS card (VESA compatible)
>and we are unable to use XWindows because we didn't succeeded in
>modyfing our Xconfig file for it. Does anybody has modified his Xconfig
>in order it works with a CIRRUS or a VESA.
>It raises an important problem : in linux version 1.0, there must be a
>large database of the most used video cards and if possible automatic
>detection of the video cards. In an easy-to-install version of linux
>we can not indeed ask people to wonder about video cards frequencies and have
>the risk to burn their monitor. So, it would be a good thing to collect
>all the configurations for video cards that have been made.
>Don't consider that as a flam but just as a common sense remark.

Please don't consider this a flame either. :}

1) The current version of Linux is not 1.0. It is .99, patchlevel 9
        (soon to be 10, unless I missed something)
2) This is really an X-windows problem, not a Linux problem. Try one of
the X newsgroups.

(        John E. Krokes -- "Mag" -- First Accolade to The One True Dave       )

(_____________________________________________________________________________)

1. Linux on VESA machine with Cirrus GD5426 VGA??

I'm about to buy a VESA 486DX2-66 machine.  It uses GD 5426 Graphics chip by
Cirrus Logic to its VGA card.  I wonder if linux and X window can be safely
run on this configuration?  Does anybody have similar experiences?

And one more question.  I heard that graphic card with ET4000/W32 chip is
currently not supported by X.  When do you expect to announce newer release
that supports this chip?

-jinsoo

2. Another sudo

3. using VESA with Linux

4. booting r5 with open firmware?

5. linux using VESA local bus?

6. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again error.

7. VESA SVGA Cards/Linux

8. Buying a combination CD-RW/DVD player

9. Linux on eisa\isa\vesa mo

10. Linux power saving features? (VESA-DPMS)

11. Linux - VESA Local Bus

12. Help! Linux on VESA local bus 486DX-33??

13. AIR Pentium VESA, 32M RAM, Adaptec 2842, 2G SCSI, Linux 1.1.68