vi color schemes in rxvt terminal under X

vi color schemes in rxvt terminal under X

Post by Adam Schuet » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:10:28

Hi all,

I have a nice color config for mutt, slrn, and vim, which only
work on console.  When I run these programs under X, I get (what
looks like) a monochrome color scheme.  Instead of various
colors, I get normal, bold, and underline text.

I am using slackware 7.1, with the xfree86 packages that came on
the CD (3.3.6).  The only difference, is that I am using a X
binary that I had to dig up for my graphics card, a Diamond
Stealth III S540.

What steps do I need to take in order to force these programs to
use my color schemes, as devised in .slrnrc, .vimrc and .muttrc?

I remember seeing something about termcaps (?) a long time ago
that may fix this, but I don't know where to start.

Any ideas?

thanks,

--

        Get my pgp keys at http://www.adam-schuetze.org

                   -  pgp fingerprints  -
rsa: B8 80 DA D6 BB CA 80 5F C5 68 1C 08 FE 3E 65 1C
dss: 46 CB B3 C3 A1 C9 BA 57 7C B4 A1 6A BF 8F 2D 95 2B 7A 1D 77

Post by Dan Whit » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:04:22

> Hi all,

> I have a nice color config for mutt, slrn, and vim, which only work on
> console.  When I run these programs under X, I get (what looks like) a
> monochrome color scheme.  Instead of various colors, I get normal, bold,
> and underline text.

> I am using slackware 7.1, with the xfree86 packages that came on  the CD
> (3.3.6).  The only difference, is that I am using a X  binary that I had
> to dig up for my graphics card, a Diamond  Stealth III S540.

> What steps do I need to take in order to force these programs to use my
> color schemes, as devised in .slrnrc, .vimrc and .muttrc?

> I remember seeing something about termcaps (?) a long time ago that may
> fix this, but I don't know where to start.

> Any ideas?

> thanks,

Try typing 'export TERM=vt220' in your X terminal.

- Dan White

1. Pmw color scheme and K-desktop environment color scheme....

My python/Tk project uses the command

   Pmw.setscheme(root,background=bgcolor)

with different (pastel) bgcolors for each invocations. This way, all
dialog and status windows can be easily associated with a project.

Unfortunately, I have noticed, the "color scheme" of the K Desktop
environment (KDE) seems to have priority over my own background color,
even though my application is not a KDE application. What can I do to
force my own background colors under KDE?

Regards,
--

=====   R&D, Nonius BV, Delft  http://www.nonius.nl/             =====
===== PGPid 0xFA19277D ========================== Use Linux! =========

2. making "routed" broadcast static gateway info

3. Changing terminal's *normal* color scheme?"

4. Proliant 2500R + Red Hat 6.2 - RAID5 suddenly loses drives

5. X terminal, rxvt terminal

6. IFACCESS.CONF

7. vi changing colours on ansi terminal

8. Problem with Internal modem in Linux

9. No color with VI and color syntax

10. color configuration for color-ready terminals

11. What did I do to lose color in color terminal prgs?

12. Terminal colors: changing the background color only in areas where there is text?

13. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!