Some Questions About Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Some Questions About Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Post by Jason N » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:05:52

Hi,

Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
questions to ask:

1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
even I modified the line... What's the problem?

2. During the installation, I have chosen PPPoE packages to install. But how
can I configure the connection setting and how to startup the service?

3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
KDE?

Regards,
Jason

Post by Richard Watso » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
> questions to ask:

> 1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
> machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
> Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
> id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
> even I modified the line... What's the problem?

I'm a newcomer to debian and it really does beat me why any run level
from 2-5 fires up xdm. Anyway you can make you own console mode
run level (e.g. run level 3) by going to /etc/rc3.d/ and renaming the
link that says something like S99xdm to something like K20xdm.

I guess its to encourage you to make your own run levels do what you
want them to.

Quote:> 3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
> like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
> KDE?

Just edit your .xinitrc so that it has the line

exec gnome-session

in it instead of whatever is there now. You may want to install gdm so
that you get some choice at login. In that case you'll have to do the
same all over again that you did with xdm :-)

--
         Richard Watson |  Pentagon Web Design Ltd  | Reading, UK

http://www.pwdltd.co.uk |  Reg. Linux User #183315  | GPG/PGP 0xA6AB8345

Post by Andreas Kaha » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
>questions to ask:

>1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
>machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
>Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
>id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
>even I modified the line... What's the problem?

Uninstall xdm.

Quote:>2. During the installation, I have chosen PPPoE packages to install. But how
>can I configure the connection setting and how to startup the service?

>3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
>like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
>KDE?

Uninstall GNOME, reinstall KDE.

/A

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

Post by Chris Beaucha » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
>> questions to ask:

>> 1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
>> machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
>> Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
>> id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
>> even I modified the line... What's the problem?

The runlevel is changing, its just that xdm (or gdm) is set to start in all
on them.

Quote:>I'm a newcomer to debian and it really does beat me why any run level
>from 2-5 fires up xdm. Anyway you can make you own console mode
>run level (e.g. run level 3) by going to /etc/rc3.d/ and renaming the
>link that says something like S99xdm to something like K20xdm.

[gx]dm will start-up if there's a valid /etc/X11/XF86Config file...

Quote:

>I guess its to encourage you to make your own run levels do what you
>want them to.

>> 3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
>> like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
>> KDE?

>Just edit your .xinitrc so that it has the line

>exec gnome-session

A better solution is to use the update-alternatives command which can be
used to change alot of options. try (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

and then choose the apropriate one. You may have to install kde before doing
this... ;-)

Then make sure that "debian Session" is selected in gdm before you put in
your username/password.

>in it instead of whatever is there now. You may want to install gdm so
>that you get some choice at login. In that case you'll have to do the
>same all over again that you did with xdm :-)

>--
>         Richard Watson |  Pentagon Web Design Ltd  | Reading, UK

>http://www.pwdltd.co.uk |  Reg. Linux User #183315  | GPG/PGP 0xA6AB8345

Some Questions About Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Post by Mark Brow » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

[xdm always running]

Quote:> I guess its to encourage you to make your own run levels do what you
> want them to.

Not really.  xdm is in a package by itself so you can de-install it
easily if you don't want it.  Besides, there's no particular reason
why it should be treated any differently to any other demon (including
other display managers).

--

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/
EUFS        http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/filmsoc/

Some Questions About Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Post by Thomas Rasmusse » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

 Mark> running]
 >> I guess its to encourage you to make your own run levels do what
 >> you want them to.

 Mark> Not really.  xdm is in a package by itself so you can
 Mark> de-install it easily if you don't want it.  Besides, there's no
 Mark> particular reason why it should be treated any differently to
 Mark> any other demon (including other display managers).

The difference from redhat to debian is, that xdm is started as a
regular service. You may find the tool file-rc usefull. When using
this you don't have all the rcX.d directories with symbolic
links. Instead you have a runlevel.conf file in which you specify (or
delete) the services you don't wish to start. It also includes a tool
much like chkconfig from redhat (update-rc.d) which will do the
editing for you. just apt-get install file-rc and be free :-)

/Thomas

--
"To *! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"
-- Homer Simpson

Post by endro » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:24:43

> Hi,

> Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
> questions to ask:

> 1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
> machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
> Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
> id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
> even I modified the line... What's the problem?

> 2. During the installation, I have chosen PPPoE packages to install. But how
> can I configure the connection setting and how to startup the service?

> 3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
> like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
> KDE?

> try     $ switchdesk -kde  . also....see     $ man switchdesk.   but in Gnome
> they have a program in X to switchdesktop...try browse around.

> Regards,
> Jason

 *    /V\   Mankind has evolved. So, live free or die !!  *
 *  /(   )\                               < endroo ? >    *