Undelete

Post by Babak Taat » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:28:20

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good Undelete utility for Linux?

I deleted my whole working directory with
rm *

(all hpp and cpp files)

Thanks,

Undelete

http://freshmeat.net/projects/recover/homepage/

--
Ole Hansen

1. undelete on ext2fs | recover vs. undelete vs. debugfs

Hi all,
48 hours ago I didn't know a thing about undeleting on extfs at all.

As u can imagine: something really bad happened, unfortunately while doing the
backup job.
The hdd/filesystem my /home was on seemed to be very unstable, so I decided to
make a backup,
format etc... and copy the backup back to /home.

Unfortunately the box crashed while backing up - resulting in a non existing
backup and an *empty* partition.
(I think the fs was corrupted and e2fsck did its job...)
I unmounted as soon as possible and a lot of data still seems to be there.

OK, some facts:
I used lsdel within debugfs of the ext2utils to find out that there is lots of
stuff that might be recoverable.
My Prob: I lost about 10GB of data within approx. 27.000 files.
Doing this job manually would take ages.

I read a lot of webpages and post in groups like this find out that there's
three tools worth giving them a try:
undelete from http://recover.sourceforge.net/linux/
recover from http://www1.lunetix.de/download/
midnight commander
(all using e2fsprogs)

Recover is perfect for finding and recovering files by their characteristics.
You can filter out a single file or hundreds, no matter.
Problem: it doesn't recover the original name of the file and testing dozends
of file extensions with ~30.000 files might take time...

Midnight commander shows a list of all inodes and recovers selected files.
Problem: same as using recover

Undelete is different but good as well. It shows all recoverable files, their
names and characteristics in a list. The user might now choose ONE file to
restore from the list. It's restored with its proper name and all.
Problem: restore one file, and the next one, and the next one.... you see -
takes ages again.

Question: Is there a tool for automated file recovery that:
1) Lets me specify files to recover by characteristics (size, uid...)
2) Recovers the filename or at least the extension properly ?

Another question is:
Is there any way to recover the directory structure?

Last and least question to people who know a bit about ext2:
What would happen if I just unset all deleted flags, set the count to 1 etc.?
I'm quite sure that no inode was reused since what ever happened.

ThX for your time.
Maybe someone knows the answer - I would be glad to get helpful replies.
Ben

P.S. Sorry for my non-perfect english ;-)

2. Newbie's question about X-Win setup?

3. Undelete

4. Removing LILO

5. is there undelete for Linux?

6. need help with full drive

7. looking for undelete

8. Help me with sys. purchase, please?!?

9. Undelete for FAT/VFAT?

10. Undelete files on Unix

11. Undelete info for Unix

12. simple undelete