Patching Mandrake Kernel to fix i830 video problem

Patching Mandrake Kernel to fix i830 video problem

Post by Tim L. A. Doy » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:42:41

Thanks to Manuel Chakravarty. There seems to be a solution at hand to
allow Linux users to resolve the issue of only having a max of 256
colours at 1024*862 resolution.

Instructions include:

<snip>

% rpm -i XFree86-4.2.0-8.src.rpm
% cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
% rpm -bp
% cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.0/
% patch -p0 <i830_driver-1mb-stolen-hack.patch

If you are not using the RedHat package, unpack your distribution,
enter the base directory, and apply the same patch command as above.

<snip>

See http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c400.html for the full
instructions.

I am only new to Linux and need help with these instructions. I am
running Mandrake 8.2. Can someone please tell me what the
corresponding directories would be in Mandrake and anything else that
might pertinent.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim.