killing idle users that don't seem to be idle

killing idle users that don't seem to be idle

Post by Marc G. Fourni » Wed, 28 Jul 1993 08:13:19

Help :)

        I'm looking for something that can intelligently
kill users who are idle, even though they they don't seem
idle.

        The problem is that we are running a multi-user,
multi-platform system, with a Unixware server/gateway
and two Linux boxes, one acting as a shell system and the
other as an NNTP news server.  The Unixware server is
acting as the 'accountant' and 'timer', but when the server
decides 'hey, you are outta time', and nukes the user,
I get 'dead' processes under the Linux machine.  I tried
'idleout', but some of those processs are users running
things like 'irc' that the system doesn't recognize being
idle :(  Or at least it doesn't seem to :(

        Can anyone suggest something that might be of
aid under Linux?  Or is idleout the best that is out there
and I'm just configuring it wrong?

Thanks...

Marc

--
Marc G. Fournier          Public Access Internet       Voice: 363-8676
Internex Online Inc           FTP    Telnet             Data: 363-3783

1. Kill an 'idle' process and all its family

I want to kill all processes that have been idle for more than 1 day and
thus show IDLE (eg 1days,2days etc), as shown by the command "w".

I also want to be sure to kill all its parent/sub processes.

At present I am using 'w' to identify the process, and then 'ps -ef | grep
pts/n' where pts/n is the tty line, to get the pid. Then I kill them all.

Is there a much nicer way to do this, either with a 'system' type command or
with a neat script I can cron every night?

thanks

2. Open source UML based modeling software

3. Idle user kill script

4. HP-printer working?

5. kapm-idled shows 90+% cpu usage when idle

6. checking the files in a directory

7. How to kill processes of idle users?!

8. C Shell Script

9. Killing idle users

10. Kill User Idle

11. Killing idle slip users

12. Script to kill idle users on an RS-6000 running AIX-4.2.0.0

13. Killing Idle users after 30 minutes