Argh! Tried to e2fsck mounted /root!

Post by Matthew C. Brinkho » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 10:30:39

After installing the SLS release of Linux, in a show of uncanny stupidity,
I attempted to have /root e2fsck-ed at bootup.  Unfortunately, I'm now
getting 'out of memory' errors on the console (386DX/33, 4 Meg RAM).

Is there a way I can boot of the floppy that SLS creates, modify the
/etc/rc file, and go on about exploring Linux?

Right now, it boots the kernel off the FDD, but goes to the HD and puts me
right back in the soup I was in before.

Thanks!

--
---
Matt Brinkhoff

Post by Kevin Burt » Wed, 21 Jul 1993 10:52:46

> After installing the SLS release of Linux, in a show of uncanny stupidity,
> I attempted to have /root e2fsck-ed at bootup.  Unfortunately, I'm now
> getting 'out of memory' errors on the console (386DX/33, 4 Meg RAM).

> Is there a way I can boot of the floppy that SLS creates, modify the
> /etc/rc file, and go on about exploring Linux?

> Right now, it boots the kernel off the FDD, but goes to the HD and puts me
> right back in the soup I was in before.

> Thanks!

> --
> ---
> Matt Brinkhoff

        Try downloading and rawrite-ing the boot and root disk images from tsx-11.mit.edu
(I forgot the subdirectory) and after you've booted into a floppy-based skeleton of linux, mount your
hard drive partition containing linux to an empty subdirectory and edit away. :)

Post by Fachschaft E-Technik T » Tue, 27 Jul 1993 15:28:36

>> After installing the SLS release of Linux, in a show of uncanny stupidity,
>> I attempted to have /root e2fsck-ed at bootup.  Unfortunately, I'm now
>> getting 'out of memory' errors on the console (386DX/33, 4 Meg RAM).

>> Is there a way I can boot of the floppy that SLS creates, modify the
>> /etc/rc file, and go on about exploring Linux?

>> Right now, it boots the kernel off the FDD, but goes to the HD and puts me
>> right back in the soup I was in before.

>> Thanks!

>> --
>> ---
>> Matt Brinkhoff

>    Try downloading and rawrite-ing the boot and root disk images from tsx-11.mit.edu
>(I forgot the subdirectory) and after you've booted into a floppy-based skeleton of linux, mount your
>hard drive partition containing linux to an empty subdirectory and edit away. :)

Simply use the a1 SLS disk and mount your hd afterwards.

8088 Eching a.A
Germany                         Linux -- the free 32-bit OS
++4981431480

1. How to mount root read-only and please e2fsck?

Hi there.

I have a somewhat old Linux box, as these things go (I started out
with 0.99 pl10 in August '93 -- yes, I know yours is older).

Recently I upgraded to the modern e2fs utilities.

They're great, but every time I boot I'm asked whether I REALLY want
to check my root file system, since it's mounted read-write.

Well, I know I should be mounting it read-only first and then
read-write, but all the e2fs FAQ has to say about this is "you'll
have to use the bootutils."

The only "bootutils" package I could find contained nothing
but "mount", the same version with a totally unrelated manpage
and actual set of options that I see everywhere (and already had).

How the heck do I fix this? I even tried the "-y" option to get
past the question, but it didn't work, and I know it's not
the right way anyway.

I tried:

mount -u -r /dev/hdb1
fsck /dev/hdb1
mount -u -w /dev/hdb1

in my /etc/rc, but the -u option (documented in the manpage as being
useful to change the mount status of an already-mounted filesystem)
isn't mentioned in the usage message of mount, and sure enough
it doesn't work (I get an error message about invalid arguments).

HELP!

Thanks, please email -- I will summarize any useful

-T
--
The ouzo of human kindness.

<URL:http://sunsite.unc.edu/boutell/index.html>

2. DOSEMU 0.60.0 compile problems

3. Root is mounted -- how how you mount root to another drive?

4. How to get SVGA resolution

5. kernel panic trying to mount NFS as root partition

6. shell script exectuion sequence?

7. Xkernel (Diskless Sun workstation) panics trying to mount root from nfs

8. ..eLP. No boot after kernel compile..

9. trying to mount the wrong root

10. kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root (--i've tried using rdev--)

11. NULL pointer dereference when trying to mount nfs-root using 2.4.19-pre8

12. Kernel panic: can't mount root on any device I try

13. kernel 2.2.18 + ide patch panics when trying to mount root fs