hosts.lpd file doesn't understand *, what can I do ?

hosts.lpd file doesn't understand *, what can I do ?

Post by Stephen O. Berg » Fri, 07 May 1993 00:27:33

  Hi,

    I was just wondering what I need to do to allow all hosts to
  access the printer on a linux machine.  On most unix machines
  you can simply put a '*' in the /etc/hosts.lpd file and this
  will give everyone access.

    This doesn't seem to work under linux.  Is there any way to
  do this on linux ?

1. lpd ignoring the hosts.lpd file ???

Hi Anyone,

I've got a problem with lpd.  My set up is a main computer and a LAN to
a diskless workstation which boots via bootp/tftp then NFS mounts its
root off a subdirectory on my main machine dedicated to it and NFS
mounts the usual /usr/bin /usr/sbin type directories so binaries aren't
duplicated unneccessarily.  Diskless workstation has simple old line
printer attached.  Most everything runs fine on it (X, etc., ftp client
and server, telnet client and server, mail, doom) and once I set lpd
running in the startup, lpr commands worked fine.

However can't print from main computer to this printer attached to the
diskless workstation.  It seems to be a privilege problem as when I
queue jobs they just sit there and any lpq command brings back an error
about "dlworks: lpr: lp: your host is not authorised on this machine",
yet hosts.lpd contains perfectly good entries which work fine in the
corresponding file, hosts.allow, to let ftp services work.  What's more
the printcap entry on the diskless workstation doesn't contain the rs
field.

Howto's and man pages are of no further use.

Anyone got any clues?

2. Good East-Bay hardware outlet?

3. /etc/hosts.equiv doesn't understand netgroups

4. IPv6 tuneling package

5. I don t understand the eand if file unexepected expecting done, done is ?

6. Problems load WWW page from single server.

7. doesn't sendmail understand 'm' flag ?

8. Starting Linux without logging into it.

9. expect script doesn't understand '$1' from command line?

10. Need example of the hosts.lpd file

11. hosts.lpd file entry for unrestricted access?

12. hosts.lpd netgroup entries won't work on 4.3.2.0

13. need help with the hosts.lpd file