I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

Post by Byong P » Sat, 04 Jul 1992 06:42:26

I just installed Linux on my computer at home. (It went really smoothly by the
way, faster than the os2 install also....)   This is what I have now.

   80 Meg OS/2 + Dos (in Dual Boot)
   60 Meg Linux (mounted as /)
   59 Meg Linux (mounted as /home)
    1 Meg Boot Manager (from the OS/2 install)

* Yes, I know, I have boot manager with dual boot.  It works amazingly enough
  although not all that nicely, The Dual boot command wants to change something
  on the partition table or something like that, but it can't so complains, but
  the the files are set up so you can reboot from the boot manager and go to
  dos or os2 whichever.

Anyhow, my question is...

  I want to set up a swap partition, but as you can see I have 4 partitions
  already, am I stuck? (I could get rid of the boot manager and use
shoelace but
  boot manager was so easy.....)

Thanks for you help.
Byong
--
* Byong "the pakman" Pak             * These opinions are my own and do *
*        aka                         *   not reflect the opinions or    *

*  phone:  408-746-7871              *                                  *

Post by Kevin Cummin » Wed, 08 Jul 1992 06:16:12

> I just installed Linux on my computer at home. (It went really smoothly by the
> way, faster than the os2 install also....)   This is what I have now.

>    80 Meg OS/2 + Dos (in Dual Boot)
>    60 Meg Linux (mounted as /)
>    59 Meg Linux (mounted as /home)
>     1 Meg Boot Manager (from the OS/2 install)

> * Yes, I know, I have boot manager with dual boot.  It works amazingly enough
>   although not all that nicely, The Dual boot command wants to change something
>   on the partition table or something like that, but it can't so complains, but
>   the the files are set up so you can reboot from the boot manager and go to
>   dos or os2 whichever.

> Anyhow, my question is...

>   I want to set up a swap partition, but as you can see I have 4 partitions
>   already, am I stuck? (I could get rid of the boot manager and use
> shoelace but
>   boot manager was so easy.....)

OK, you want to be able to have 5 partitions.  Currently, the only way to
do that is for one of them to be a DOS Extended partition, and use the
logical drives which it contains as partitions.  I'm not sure how you would
go about keeping DOS or OS/2 from recognizing them too, tho.

So you can have 3 real partitions, and an extended partition with 2 logical
drives, giving you, in effect, 5 partitions.

Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games

Post by PauL M Schwar » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 00:34:00

>> Anyhow, my question is...

>>   I want to set up a swap partition, but as you can see I have 4 partitions
>>   already, am I stuck?

>OK, you want to be able to have 5 partitions.  Currently, the only way to
>do that is for one of them to be a DOS Extended partition, and use the
>logical drives which it contains as partitions.  I'm not sure how you would
>go about keeping DOS or OS/2 from recognizing them too, tho.

>So you can have 3 real partitions, and an extended partition with 2 logical
>drives, giving you, in effect, 5 partitions.

    I'm not sure if that will work, but even so, it doesn't solve your problem.
You need one Boot Manager Partition, one for OS/2 DOS booting, and one for Linux
booting.  That takes away all 3 real partitions.  This already takes away from
one of your Linux partitions cause Linux cannot use the logical partitions
(unless something's changes recently).  Anyway as I said first, I don't think
you can have more that 4 partititons with just DOS.  Something like SpeedStor
might allow it, but then its just a DOS device driver controlling the action
which is still of no help to you.

PauL M SchwartZ           | Follow men's eyes as they look to the skys
Future site of .sig virus |     the shifting shafts of shining

I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

Post by Jim Winstead J » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 08:09:30

Yet another posting with a needless distribution limitation to the USA
- watch your Distribution: lines!  Remember, Linux is a Finnish
export, it's hardly fair to keep the rest of the world out of the
conversation.

Quote:>    I'm not sure if that will work, but even so, it doesn't solve your problem.
>You need one Boot Manager Partition, one for OS/2 DOS booting, and one for Linux
>booting.  That takes away all 3 real partitions.  This already takes away from
>one of your Linux partitions cause Linux cannot use the logical partitions
>(unless something's changes recently).  Anyway as I said first, I don't think
>you can have more that 4 partititons with just DOS.  Something like SpeedStor
>might allow it, but then its just a DOS device driver controlling the action
>which is still of no help to you.

Linux has been able to use logical partitions since 0.95c or
thereabouts.  I am using an extended partition with three logical
partitions in it as my tmp, pub, and swap partitions, with no
problems.

To create these logical partitions, I would recommend using fdisk from
the MCC release (available as efdisk on the 'main' distribution).

A quick rundown on life:

        - a disk can have 4 partitions in it's 'main' partition table.
        - operating systems usually must boot from one of these.
        - you can create an 'extended' partition in one of these four slots
        - you can have a bunch of partitions within an extended
          partition.
        - Linux CAN use these partitions.

--
                                    +    Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95)
                                    |            Harvey Mudd College

                                    + This is all my words.  Honest!

I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

Post by Andrew F. Gunnes » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 19:15:52

<text deleted>

>A quick rundown on life:

>    - a disk can have 4 partitions in it's 'main' partition table.
>    - operating systems usually must boot from one of these.
>    - you can create an 'extended' partition in one of these four slots
>    - you can have a bunch of partitions within an extended
>      partition.
>    - Linux CAN use these partitions.

>--
>                                    +    Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95)
>                                    |            Harvey Mudd College

>                                    + This is all my words.  Honest!

But unfortunately, unless things have changed very recently, the SCSI
driver doesn't handle extended partitions yet.

Andrew F. Gunnesch          |  Evil CAEN sysadmin   |  I'm a Sun worshipper

I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

Post by H. Peter Anvin N9I » Thu, 16 Jul 1992 00:59:05

Quote:

> A quick rundown on life:

>    - a disk can have 4 partitions in it's 'main' partition table.
>    - operating systems usually must boot from one of these.

          NOTE: OS/2 2.0 is an exception if using Boot Manager.
          The Boot Manager itself needs a primary partition, however.
Quote:>    - you can create an 'extended' partition in one of these four slots
>    - you can have a bunch of partitions within an extended
>      partition.
>    - Linux CAN use these partitions.

--

This is a test of the emergency USENET system.

I would like to have 5 partitions???? how?

Post by Byong P » Thu, 16 Jul 1992 05:40:09

Thanks to all the people who responded to my question about 5 partitions.
It all worked and I have set up my system in the following manor

    80 Megs OS/2 or DOS (set up as dual boot)
    50 Megs Linux mounted as / (root)
    79 Megs Extended partion
        16 Megs Swap partition
        63 Megs linux partition mounted as /usr
     1 Meg OS/2 Boot manager.
   ----
   210 Megs.

Thus I have successfully installed Linux without destroying my OS/2 - Dos
partition at all and everything runs great.   Thanks again for the help and
If anyone else needs help in this, I am willing to start trying to answer
questions (this doesn't mean of course that I will be able to answer them
correctly. :)

Actually, I have another question now.
I am running X11 that I downloaded (the 1.1 version) but I don't seem to be
able to get vi to work correctly in the xterm.  (I think the ROW variable is
not set correctly).  In any case, what should the variable TERM be?  I think
it is now TERM=dumb and I don't think that it should be dumb.   If I need to
change it, where do I do that?

Thanks
Byong
(novice X administrator....  for that matter novice linux administrator
as well)

--
* Byong "the pakman" Pak             * These opinions are my own and do *
*        aka                         *   not reflect the opinions or    *

*  phone:  408-746-7871              *                                  *

1. Problem with re-partitioning HD for DOS after having Linux on it

This may have nothing to do with Linux; if not, I apologize
to those of you in the Linux newsgroup who are reading this.

I have received a used 1.2Gb HD which previously had a
200Mb primary DOS partition, a 300Mb extended DOS partition,
and the rest was used for Linux, and partitioned using the
appropriate Linux utilities.

I have placed the hard drive in another machine and correctly
set up the BIOS.  I have completely formatted the hard drive
(via the BIOS).  When I go into the DOS 6.22 fdisk to create
a 1.2Gb primary DOS partition, it only creates a 504Mb partition
and then tells me that there is no room left on the device.
How can I get the whole hard drive set up for DOS?

Is there some problem with the area of the hard drive that used
to be configured for Linux, or is there some problem with DOS,
and the 500Mb limit and the prior 500Mb of DOS partitioning
are merely coincidence?

I'll check the newsgroups, but would appreciate an e-mail reply.
Thank you.

--
Michael S. Post

http://www.westworld.com/~mpost

2. IDE CDROM unmount problem

3. having a directory on two partitions

4. hp openmail

5. Having Problems Installing From DOS partition.

6. cu and modem problem

7. Newbie having problem with partitions

8. Any situation where sigsuspend is preferred over sigwait?

9. Lilo having problems with partition table

10. what is the purpose of having more logical partitions?

11. Having problem creating partition

12. Having /home on a separate partition

13. Having problems getting lilo ver. 3 to boot MS-DOS 4.01 partition.