OS/2 and DOS -> OS/2, Linux and DOS

OS/2 and DOS -> OS/2, Linux and DOS

Post by Peter » Sat, 27 Jun 1992 07:01:04



Hi.

I have OS/2 2.0 and DOS installed on my system (386-40, 200 meg, 8 meg
ram) and was wondering what I'd have to do to get linux installed with
the OS/2's MOST installed.

My partitions are currently:

DOS     110 megs        A
OS/2    90 megs         B
MOST    1 meg           C

I have erased everything but OS/2 on the OS/2 partition.  I know that
I have to kill the OS/2 partition and reinstall but is there anyway I
can guarantee that OS/2 will install correctly after I kill the "B"
partition?

My new partitions will be:

DOS     110 megs        A
OS/2    40 megs         B
Linux   50 megs         D
MOST    1 meg           C

Will the Linux partition show up with OS/2 fdisk?  If so, then it's
probably no problem I guess, but if not ..

Also .. what is a good size partition for linux?

I would like to install ..

base system
X11R5 beta
gcc2.x
emacs

[About how much room is this?]

and still have enough room for a swap file, medium size source for
various programs to port, and enough for me to add misc programs to
the bin dirs.

Is 50 megs enough?  I know I can't compile emacs or X11r5, but I want
to be able to compile smaller programs.

Also .. In the readme, it said that Linux was a subset of System V.
What exactly does that mean?  What ISN'T there?

PQ?
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

OS/2 and DOS -> OS/2, Linux and DOS

Post by H. Peter Anvin N9I » Sun, 28 Jun 1992 03:21:26




Quote:> Hi.

> I have OS/2 2.0 and DOS installed on my system (386-40, 200 meg, 8 meg
> ram) and was wondering what I'd have to do to get linux installed with
> the OS/2's MOST installed.

I have posted this to this newsgroup recently.  Read that post to see what
you will have to do.  I presume when you are referring to "MOST" that you
are talking about Boot Manager.  You don't give your version of OS/2 but I
here assume it is 2.0.

Quote:> I have erased everything but OS/2 on the OS/2 partition.  I know that
> I have to kill the OS/2 partition and reinstall but is there anyway I
> can guarantee that OS/2 will install correctly after I kill the "B"
> partition?

2.0 will (if you leave it enough memory, minimum 15 Mb, 31 Mb for a full
installation).  You can install 2.0 in a "logical" partition.  You will want
have both your DOS and Linux root partitions to be "primary".  The Linux
partition will show up as "Type 81" or something similar in the OS/2 FDISK.

Quote:> DOS        110 megs        A
> OS/2       40 megs         B
> Linux      50 megs         D
> MOST       1 meg           C
> Also .. what is a good size partition for linux?

> I would like to install ..

> base system
> X11R5 beta
> gcc2.x
> emacs

> [About how much room is this?]

This is about 25-30 megs.

Quote:> and still have enough room for a swap file, medium size source for
> various programs to port, and enough for me to add misc programs to
> the bin dirs.

> Is 50 megs enough?  I know I can't compile emacs or X11r5, but I want
> to be able to compile smaller programs.

This should be quite sufficient.  However, you would benefit speedwise by
using a separate partition for swap.  A rough estimate of its size should
be about 2x(your physical memory).  The Linux swap space will add to your
physical memory so if you have 8 Mb of RAM and a 16 Mb swap partition you
have 24 Mb of available space.

Good luck; I'll be happy to answer further questions.

        /Peter A.

        "Happily running DOS, OS/2 2.0 and Linux"
--



Seeg??  I don't need no goddamn seeg!