default special uids

Post by Henry Chinas » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:25:06

Can anyone point me to info on how system uids (<500) are selected?
There seems to be some method behind the madness in /etc/passwd eg.
apache=48 nobody=99. Or is this something the distros reserve for
quibbling?

../C

1. \\\ Professional Images Virtual Domains/// Special Special Special Special

:               Online Marketing International Inc.

:
: We are happy to be able to offer full professional images for your
: business. We are a international service provider specializing in Virtual
: domains, Site creation and maintenance, and Listservers and databases.
:
: Thru the end of april we are offering the Following Special pricing:
:
: Only $25.00 setup/$25.00 per month for the following. !!!WOW!!!
:
: *personal Domain  http://yourcompany.com/
: *Unlimited FTP/Telnet access yourcompany.com
: *5 megs of space - this will house approximately +50 pages with    graphics

: *autoresponder
: *Cgi-bin access with sample scripts
: *use of our Shell
: *password protected web pages
: *redirection capabilty
: *24 hour a day web access with millions of potential customers.
: *listing in our award winning mall   http://ngwwmall.com/
: *free postings to 18 popular search engines and directories with all
:  accounts.
: *Full T1 line support with redundancy measure being put in place to
:  insure reliable access 24 hours a day
: *listserver
: =======================================================================
:
: Basic Site creation package 299.99 6 pages with graphic, includes 6
: months rent ends may 1st.
:
: =======================================================================
: Full server lease available for as little as 500.00/month
: =======================================================================
: We Have special accounts for individuals wishing to resell our services

: =======================================================================
: Sites we maintain and house -
: visit a few our our sites: http://craftsolutions.com/
:                            http://winedine.com/
:                            http://facialflex.com/
:                            http://ngwwmall.com/

2. Log Messages Issue

3. system defaults with uid=0 on sys 5 release 4 unix

4. Xdefaults don't work as root

5. Default UID numbers out of whack!

6. FTP Transfer Rates

7. Default crontab of UID "root"

8. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

9. How to install a default and special router?

10. UID / effective UID problem

11. User Ids (uid) > 65k or 32 bits uids

12. effective UID vs. Real UID with su - problem

13. setuid to a non-root uid for both effective&real uid