hostname (net-2) cannot find hostname.

Post by Chris Johnst » Sat, 26 Jun 1993 15:20:32

Hi there!

After Robert Baruch was so kind as to offer me words of advice,
I installed the net-2 stuff under pl10 as he outlined.  Now,
my hostname program cannot find hostname blah

I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME that contains one line with the name
surfcty in it.  I modified the /etc/rc.local file to have
the statement hostname -vS in hopes that it would find the
hostname from the right file.  Now, my prompt says (none) and
if you run hostname by itself, it says (none) as well.

What have I done?

To make matters worse, I haven't a recent backup (my own fault).

Of course, since hostname is not doing it's thing, hostcvt.build
cannot put things together properly.  And since that cannot happen,
I cannot talk to anything else (anymore).

Anyone with words of wisdom are asked (begged) to respond.

Chris

**      Chris D. Johnston               714/289-8543            **
**      Surf City Software              714/289-1002 (fax)      **

**      1095 N. Main Street, M-1, Orange, California 92667      **
**           The Cart Before the Horse?  Preposterous!          **

Post by Andreas Bus » Thu, 01 Jul 1993 21:11:30

|> Hi there!
|>
|> After Robert Baruch was so kind as to offer me words of advice,
|> I installed the net-2 stuff under pl10 as he outlined.  Now,
|> my hostname program cannot find hostname blah
|>
|> I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME that contains one line with the name
|> surfcty in it.  I modified the /etc/rc.local file to have
|> the statement hostname -vS in hopes that it would find the
|> hostname from the right file.  Now, my prompt says (none) and
|> if you run hostname by itself, it says (none) as well.
|>
|> What have I done?
|>
|> To make matters worse, I haven't a recent backup (my own fault).
|>
|> Of course, since hostname is not doing it's thing, hostcvt.build
|> cannot put things together properly.  And since that cannot happen,
|> I cannot talk to anything else (anymore).
|>
|> Anyone with words of wisdom are asked (begged) to respond.
|>
|> Chris
|>
|> --

This isn't new. Make sure have /etc/host.conf like this:

order hosts,bind
multi

Your /etc/hosts should look like this

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         <your hostname>

If it's still not working, get net-010.tar. You'll find the sources of /bin/hostname.
Comment out the gethostbyname() call near the end of hostname.c.
Compile, install, try again. It should work now.

Andy

1. hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

I'm at a loss as to how my Red Hat 3.03 is SUPPOSED to find a FQDN.
And it doesn't. And I can't get anything out of giving 127.0.0.1, or
my ever-changing IP-number, to Arena or Netscape. Now, control panel
has a tool where I configure it like name "froz", domain "algonet.se"
and FQDN "froz.algonet.se". But that doesn't do it. Also I don't
understand WHERE this tool is supposed to put in "froz.algonet.se",
which anyway isn't a "real" FQDN.
I have got a bare minimum of network parameters in the scripts.
Actually all I need for my Pap-ppp is domain and nameservers in
resolv.conf. Ifconfig tells me about my temporary ip-number when I'm
connected.
Read somewhere sometime that this is a common problem having to do
with a fault in the routing in the scripts, or with the loopback, but
I can't find this text anywhere.
My goal is to run Apache, and send my ever-changing Ip-number to my
homepage on the ISP-provider. Actually I got all of that running on
another operative system.

2. ppp module in RH5.1?

3. find hostname: hostname or uname -n?

4. New OpenSSH 3.5

5. DNS cannot find hostname with first request

6. help for beginner: mount problem

7. sendmail cannot find hostname

8. Two HP NICs

9. Cannot find my hostname

10. NET-2 configuration files, new hostname failure

11. net-2 hostname -S gives host unknown.

12. setting hostname with net-2

13. Peculiar hostname: NET-2 HOWTO vs. Yggdrasil?