Misc questions

Post by Eric Blo » Fri, 11 Jun 1993 10:32:47

1)  Can anyone report on the file systems they are using?  What type
    of success with which ones?  How long have they been in use?

2)  Currently I have one of my four partitions as root, with an
    extended containing a usr, a swap, a home, and a tmp.  I have
    an extra partition floating around as an auxiliary root.  Any
    suggestions as to the pros and cons of this structure?

3)  Of looked for the source for formating a floppy, but I have not
    been able to come across any.  I have heard suggestions of using
    MSDOS, but since I'm now completely rid of it, I can't.  I'm sure
    one exists.  Any ideas?

I will post a follow-up if there are any requests.

--
Eric V. *

Misc questions

Post by Matthias Urlic » Sat, 12 Jun 1993 04:36:27

Quote:

> 1)  Can anyone report on the file systems they are using?  What type
>     of success with which ones?  How long have they been in use?

I've used xiafs until last week, then I switched to ext2fs.

Reason: ext2fs was _much_ more stable after a system crash. Xiafs often
trashed a directory, and then xfsck proceeded to mark a very large number
of blocks as allocated-but-should-be-free, after which I removed the bad
directory, ran xfsck again, which then marked the same large number of
blocks as free-but-should-be-allocated.

This never seemed to happen with ext2fs. I found one bug in e2fsck:

--- e2fsck.c.orig       Mon Jun  7 21:53:59 1993

                {
                        printf ("Inode %d has bad mode (%o). ",
                                nr, inode.i_mode);
-                       if (ask ("Set mode to file", 0))
+                       if (ask ("Set mode to file", 1))
                        {
                                inode.i_mode |= S_IFREG;
                                write_inode (nr, &inode);

If this change isn't made, e2fsck -a will not be able to clean up the file
system if an inode is trashed. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often.

[ I am cursed with an ISA motherboard which can't seem to tolerate
  simultaneous use of the Adaptec and the SMD Ethernet card.
  The system hangs quite often. This also happens under SCO so it
  definitely seems to be a hardware problem... new motherboard time. ]

--
Tactless Person: Someone who says what everyone else is thinking.
                                               -- "Laughs Unlimited"

Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- Germany  --  +49-721-9612521     \o)/

Misc questions

Post by Matthias Urlic » Sat, 12 Jun 1993 18:08:17

> I found one bug in e2fsck:

Found another one -- this time I don't have a fix, unfortunately...

The problem is that e2fsck can detect, but is unable to repair, when a block
is assigned to more than one file. Apparently it tries to deassign them but
then ends up reattaching the blocks afterwards. :-(

Fortunately, one of the affected file names is reported. The temporary fix
is to mount the file system, remove the offender, unmount and fsck -f,
whereupon the other file name is reported (the blocks which were freed by
the rm are still attached to the first file). You can then remount the file
system and check which of the two files the data really belongs to, if any. :-/

--
Presently she told* she had a cat so smart that it first ate cheese
and then breathed down the mouseholes -- with baited breath -- to entice

Post by Stephen Tweed » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 00:32:48

> This never seemed to happen with ext2fs. I found one bug in e2fsck:
> --- e2fsck.c.orig  Mon Jun  7 21:53:59 1993
> +++ e2fsck.c       Mon Jun  7 21:55:02 1993

>            {
>                    printf ("Inode %d has bad mode (%o). ",
>                            nr, inode.i_mode);
> -                  if (ask ("Set mode to file", 0))
> +                  if (ask ("Set mode to file", 1))
>                    {
>                            inode.i_mode |= S_IFREG;
>                            write_inode (nr, &inode);
> If this change isn't made, e2fsck -a will not be able to clean up
> the file system if an inode is trashed. Fortunately, this doesn't
> happen very often.

Indeed, this should never happen if a filesystem is shutdown without
proper sync()ing; it would take serious corruption to cause an error
like this.

However, the best cure for this problem is probably to just clear the
inode rather than setting its mode to S_IFREG; if the mode itself is
corrupt then it is very unlikely that the rest of the inode contains
anything worth salvaging.

I'll have a look at this.  There may well be a new release of
e2fsprogs soon.

Cheers,
 Stephen.
---

Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.

Misc questions

Post by Matthias Urlic » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 00:51:23

Quote:

> Indeed, this should never happen if a filesystem is shutdown without
> proper sync()ing; it would take serious corruption to cause an error
> like this.

Probably true... but doesn't help if it happens and you can't get a clean
file system without manual intervention. :-(

Quote:> However, the best cure for this problem is probably to just clear the
> inode rather than setting its mode to S_IFREG; if the mode itself is
> corrupt then it is very unlikely that the rest of the inode contains
> anything worth salvaging.

You can still try... and since most inodes _are_ files on typical file
systems, the chances that the S_IFREG guess is correct aren't too bad. ;-)

--
Statistics are a highly logical and precise method for saying a
half-truth inaccurately.

Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- Germany  --  +49-721-9612521     \o)/

Misc questions

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Mon, 14 Jun 1993 04:45:36

Quote:> 1)  Can anyone report on the file systems they are using?  What type
>     of success with which ones?  How long have they been in use?

When I switched over to a bigger hard drive a couple of weeks ago I also
switched from extfs to ext2fs. None of them ever gave me any trouble,
but ext2fs is preferred nowadays.

Quote:> 2)  Currently I have one of my four partitions as root, with an
>     extended containing a usr, a swap, a home, and a tmp.  I have
>     an extra partition floating around as an auxiliary root.  Any
>     suggestions as to the pros and cons of this structure?

Back on my old disk I had root, usr and swap. Currently I have root,
usr, home, var and swap. This seems to be largely a question of personal
preference. Probably disk size is also part of the consideration, i.e.
it doesn't make sense to split up a small drive in lots of even smaller
partitions.

Quote:> 3)  Of looked for the source for formating a floppy, but I have not
>     been able to come across any.  I have heard suggestions of using
>     MSDOS, but since I'm now completely rid of it, I can't.  I'm sure
>     one exists.  Any ideas?

The program is called fdformat. It *might* be part of the utile-1.5
package, I don't really know. I inherited mine from my original SLS
installation.

--

  "Sex is friction. Preferably, friction with a friend. And preferably
   well-lubed. After that, it's all a matter of taste." --Solomon Short

1. Misc questions on a Bully-free computer

I'm contemplating new hardware and have some questions that
I don't remember having seen answered in my many hours reading
newsgroups like this and web pages like Tom's Hardware.  I
admit that I haven't reasearched the Graphics questions, so
feel free to ignore those if you want.  I'm one of those Bully
Boycotters and have some uncommon considerations as a result
of wanting an uncommon CPU, motherboard chipset, and OS.

1) Do some "jumperless" motherboards require the use of MS-Windows
or MS-DOS to set up the BIOS?  Which ones?

2) The only ATX motherboards I've seen with non-Intel chipsets
have only two ISA slots.  Can I get sound cards and extra-I/O
cards with PCI interfaces?  Are they much more expensive than ISA?

3) Do ATX power supplies blow air into or out of the case?  Any
way to reverse it?  I want all my fans blowing air in thru filters,
even if it cools less efficiently (before things get covered with
dust).

4) Any problems running Linux with the latest SIS or VIA chipsets?
A couple years ago I read rumours that Linux ran slow with SIS.

5) Since Linux doesn't use the BIOS after boot, how is it possible
for Linux to work at all with non-Intel chipsets?  Do these chips
all emulate Intel chipset control regesters, etc?

6) Does Linux support parity or ECC memory?  (Memory is so cheap
now, I'm suprised this isn't more popular.)  If so, what happens
when Linux gets an error indication?  How is the user informed?
Are there popular protocals for handling memory errors such as
saving backup and working files before shutting programs down,
etc.?  Is there any means to report which memory is bad?  Is
there any means to work around bad memory like bad disk sectors?

7) Can integrated printer-scanners be used just as well as separate
printers and scanners under Linux?  When using any of these 3 types
of devices, will many features be missing (without writing my own
programs) which the supplied MS-Windows SW makes available?

------- Bully Boycott -----
8) Do the latest AMD CPUs still have the MS-Windows logo on them?
(In that case, Cyrix will do just fine for my needs.)

9) Just curious.  Do board makers or BIOS makers have to pay
Intel/MS licencing fees to implement PCI, PnP, or a BIOS?

10) When companies advertise using "Intel Inside" or "Designed for
Windows 95/NT" logos, do they pay Intel/MS or does Intel/MS pay
them or is it a "wash"?

------- Graphics -----
11) If I just want to run 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits, is there
any reason to have more than 4 Meg video memory?

12) Can I resonably expect Linux and/or SW running on Linux to take
advantage of AGP hardware in the next two years?

13) What's the best reasonably priced Linux-friendly video card for
running 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits (4 meg)?
How about 1600x1200x24bits (8 meg)?

14) Is there any reason to get a typical 3D video card for a pure Linux
machine?  I understand that the only 3D software on Linux for now
requires the rather rare OpenGL compatible hardware.  Is this correct?

Please don't try sending mail.  Thanks.

2. QUESTION about PENTAX ME II WINDER [repost]

3. misc questions

4. AHHH!! No NICs work!

5. misc questions(gcc2.11, filenames, this group)

6. what happend to sysback/6000

7. misc. questions

8. SCSI CD ROM's w/o controller

9. Misc Questions(Bootup warnings,Colors...).

10. x setup & misc. questions

11. Pls help: Misc questions

12. Misc questions

13. Misc. questions : tty, md5sum, make