Out of virtual memory error with 8M RAM and 16M swap.

Out of virtual memory error with 8M RAM and 16M swap.

Post by Ron Henders » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 02:54:32

Idraw will not run from X-windows because of this error. Out of
virtual memory ... cannot open 'new'.  I think 24M should be enough memory.
Only 2 windows open, and an xclock.  Only 6 gettys are up.

Should the partition type show up as different for my swap
partition?  It is still type 81.

I am running startx as root, I can't run it as a user yet (another problem).

Ron

--

THN C237                     UUCPNet :  ...!uunet!*ia!rhh2h
University of *ia       Voice   : " HEY Ron!! "

Out of virtual memory error with 8M RAM and 16M swap.

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Mon, 30 Aug 1993 02:24:49

Quote:>Idraw will not run from X-windows because of this error. Out of
>virtual memory ... cannot open 'new'.  I think 24M should be enough memory.
>Only 2 windows open, and an xclock.  Only 6 gettys are up.

I just started an idraw and it is about 2.5 megs in size. 24M
should definitely be enough. 8M almost definitely won't be enough
without swap -- you need to check your swap.
Quote:

>Should the partition type show up as different for my swap
>partition?  It is still type 81.

The partition type isn't really important for linux, except to
keep other operating systems from seeing it as one of their own
and trying to trash it.

It *is* important to to a mkswap on it once though to set up
the "swap signature" -- analogous to making a filesystem on
a filesystem partition. And your rc or rc.local have to contain
a 'swapon' command (with the correct options) to turn on swapping --

swapon -a   if the partition is in your /etc/fstab
swapon filename  if you have a swap file or want to specify a partition

Try 'free' and see if you have any swap enabled. 'top' will be
helpful for monitoring the size of the top 15 or so processes.

Quote:>I am running startx as root, I can't run it as a user yet (another problem).

Perhaps this problem is the same as someone else's recently. Your X server
(/usr/X386/bin/X386, X386mono, XF86_SVGA, or XF86_mono, depending on your
setup) needs to be owned by root and setuid root. chown it to
root and chmod 4755 it.

1. Out of Virtual Memory problems (16M + 20 swap)

Hi to everybody.
I'm getting some memory problems on my Pentium 100 with 16M RAM and 1G
SCSI disk (with an adaptec 2940 controller).

I'm running a 1.2.8 Slakware Linux and i've created a 20M swap partition;
in this machine i have an httpd, a pppd and a small application based on
some shell/perl scripts.
Normally the "free" command gives me about 2M of real memory free and all
the swap area available.
The problem is a random 'Out of virtual memory' error message.
Based on my experience on other Unix systems 20M of swap space for 16M of
phisical memory should be enough (even if the usual ratio is 2.5 not 1.3).

[1] Are there under Unix some specific swap requirements?
[2] Increasing the swap area can be useful (for doing that i had to
repartition the hard disk).?
[3] Awk & perl : are there some versions of these programs hog on
resources ?

Thanx to everybody in advance for Your help.

Gottardo.

2. wierd open behaviour with tasks and nfs

3. Use X with 4M, 8M, 16M ram

4. 43P Ethernet problem

5. Ram 8M vs 16M

6. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

7. 16M RAM: do I need swap?

8. Have I been hacked?

9. 16M RAM: do I need swap??

10. Swap memory , RAM memory and available space disk on a Sun MicroSystem under Solaris 2.6 ?

11. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

12. Boca Memory Expansion Ram Disk as Swap Device

13. Memory access time (RAM, cache, swap...)