ALSA driver problem.

Post by tapee » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:48:24

I have installed ALSA driver for my Fortmedia, Inc |Wwave QS3000A [FM
801] sound card. It is working fine when I login as root. But not when
I login as some other user. I have to first login as root to start the
driver and then logout and relogin as another user. Is there any way
that the driver gets loaded even when I login as another user ?

ALSA driver problem.

Post by Michae » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:21:37

> I have installed ALSA driver for my Fortmedia, Inc |Wwave QS3000A [FM
> 801] sound card. It is working fine when I login as root. But not when
> I login as some other user. I have to first login as root to start the
> driver and then logout and relogin as another user. Is there any way
> that the driver gets loaded even when I login as another user ?

I've had prob's before with permissions that were giving me this headache.
Check your /dev/sound/* and /dev/snd/* and see what ownership / permissions
are there - you'll most likely find your problem there.

They should probably be owned by root and in a group called audio or
similar, make sure that you are in group audio in /etc/group and that group
audio has rw permissions on those /dev entries.

I'm using devfs, so I had to make sure my /etc/devfsd.conf was set up
right... if you don't know what devfs is then you probably not using it.

Oh, you'll need to log out before you are included into any groups you've
added yourself to. And if you are using devfs you'll need to send the
devfsd process a HUP signal to restart it.

I think thats it.... uh, make sure the module is loaded AND mixer settings
are turned up? Ok, so you probably checked that already but it really is
worth a look ;)

HTH,
Michael
--
"Do you Gentoo?! (http://www.gentoo.org/)"

1. ALSA driver problem, SBLive! sound card, RH 8.0

I'm trying to setup my Linux system (RH8.0; I'm running Gnome for X),
but was having some trouble with the sound output; I was advised to
install the ALSA drivers. However, I can't see to do this. Following
the instructions for installing ALSA for a Creative SoundBlaster Live!
Value, I managed to build the drivers without great difficulty (once I
figured out how to build things ...), but I cannot seem to load the
modules. Instead, it gives me error messages when I try to use
modprobe:

modprobe: Can't locate module emu10k1
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-pcm-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-mixer-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-seq-oss

I'm sure this is something stupid and obvious, but I'm new to Linux
and barely know what modprobe does, let alone how it operates. Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated ...

2. Solaris 2.6 multithreaded RPC server problem

3. ALSA driver problems - soundcore and kernel compile

4. Use my XXX password

5. 2.5.5-pre1: Deadlocks and ALSA driver problems

6. Newby needs help choosing between Slackware and Redhat or any others

7. sb line and linux alsa driver problems

8. KDE Survey

9. SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

10. Problems compiling Alsa drivers

11. Problem on Linux 2.4.0 kernel and ALSA sound driver.

12. alsa - driver .. problem compiling

13. Problems with SoundBlaster PCI128 and Alsa drivers