Japanese ftp sites (was Re: Japanese editor for LinuX)

Japanese ftp sites (was Re: Japanese editor for LinuX)

Post by Yasu-Hiro YAMAZA » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 01:46:37

Dear nettters,

Thanks to Japanese developers, here I can introduce you several
ftp sites wiht Japanese softwares for linux.

colias.tutics.tut.ac.jp [133.15.208.28]
ftp.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp  [130.54.20.1]
ftp.cs.keio.ac.jp       [131.113.35.20]

Usually, "colias" has the latest Japanese softwares for Linux,
includeing those for testers. "ftp.kuis" houses varietes of free
Japanese softwares not only for Linux but also for other operating
systems. "ftp.cs" is also recomended since it has a high speed
conection to the net.

Quote:>You need three kinds of tools to handle the Japanese language
>on your computer.

>First, you need a Japanese terminal software.
>"kterm" is the one for the X-window, and "kon" makes it possible
>to display Japanese characters on the native console of linux. Of
>course, both require Japanese fonts, which will be found in the
>same place.

>Secondly, you need an alphabet-Japanese converter to help input
>Japanese characters from your keyboard. "Wnn" and "Canna" are the
>two majyor softwares for the sake of this.

>Lastly, you need a Japanese editor. "Nemacs" and "Mule" will be
>the good choices for the emacs lovers, while "jstevie" is the one
>for the vi'st. Nemacs handles Japanese and English, while Mule
>does lots of languages in the world. Mule is still on its development
>stage, though most people think it stable enough for thier uses.
>Both of these have built-in interfaces to access alphabet-Japanese
>converters.

>BTW: I use kterm, kon, Canna and Nemacs every day.

>There are several ftp sites which carry some or all of these
>in Japan. I will post the name of the best sites for forign
>users, after I ask the Japanese developing members, because
>some sites might not have fast connection to the internet.
>So, please e-mail me if you needed the information *very* soon.

>Appendix:
>Japanese TeX stuff runs fine under linux, including previewer for
>both X and non-X, with several printer drivers.

Recently, Japanese developers have prepared a conveniant set of
Japanese programmes for SLS linux, called JE "which" includes all
I mentioned above. JE, Japanese extensions will ease the pain of
the installation process, and will be found in the ftp sites above.

The following is the quotation of README file of JE.

                                 J E

                  J a p a n e s e   E x t e n s i o n s

JE is a collection of software which enables Linux to handle
Japanese. The software was either ported to Linux or was newly
developed for this purpose.

JE should be installed as an extension to the SLS distribution.

There are many Japanese character set encoding schemes,  including
EUC-J, JIS, and MS-Kanji (SHIFT-JIS), but JE can only handle EUC-J
seamlessly. Other encoding schemes can be converted to EUC-J using
nkf (included).

There are three Japanese (Kanji) input systems (Wnn, Canna, and sj3)
in the package, so you can choose which is best suites your needs.

JE is divided into several sub-packages to support these different
Kanji input systems. They are:

j?  : Several utilities including nkf, lha and NEmacs
jw? : Wnn binary distribution package and Nemacs/Mule for Wnn
jc? : Canna binary distribution package and Nemacs/Mule for Canna
js? : sj3 binary distribution package and Nemacs/Mule for sj3
jt? : JTeX (Japanese TeX)
jx? : Several Japanese localized X clients including KTerm.

If Canna is choosen as the Kanji input, the jw? or js? series are not
needed (or vice versa).

JTeX accepts only EUC-J. KON accepts JIS and either EUC-J or Shift-JIS.
NEmacs and Mule can handle JIS, EUC-J and Shift-JIS. If the packages
are modified to handle other encoding systems, please let us know.

The following shared libraries,

        Libc.tgz: libc.so.4.4.1, libm.so.4.4.1
        Libx.tgz: libX11.so.3.0.1, libXaw.so.3.0.1, libXt.so.3.0.1

are required. If you're using an old version, replace them with the
above versions. These libraries are included in this package to ease
installation.

Because JE uses the SLS menu and/or sysinstall for installation,
SLS-Linux is required.

(0)     If you use Wnn, add a user "wnn" with useradd.
(1)     Each directory of JE contains files of up to 1.2MB.
        Prepare enough MS-DOS formatted disks to copy them.
(2)     Run "menu" as root.  Select "Install Software", then
        "Additional Install Utilities",
        "Install Packages From A Disk".
(3)     The installation process is the same as that in the SLS
        installation.
(4)     If you have "sysintall" but not "menu", run "sysinstall." For
        example:

        If you're installing jw?:

        # sysinstall -series jw

        Since there are many configuration options for Nemacs/Mule
        included in this package, we suggest to use -doprompt option to
        choose the one you really need.

# Read the DIST file for a detailed description of this package.
# Contributors are listed in the file LSL.
# JE overwrites some software installed by SLS.

Notice: There is NO WARRANTY with this product. Use it at your own
risk.

JE is still experimental software. Please let us know if there are any
problems. Comments and suggestions are also welcome.

Mr. Manabe is writing an installation manual for JE.
Any comments will be reflected in the manual.

I hope this helps those interested in the Japanese language,
and any question is wolcome.

--
Hiro

    Yasu-Hiro Yamazaki (Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto, Canada)

1. URGENT HELP: Japanese user wants mail and staroffice in Japanese(Kanji)

A Japanese customer needs to open Office (Word) documents and exchange
email in Japanese characters (I understand it is Kanji).

I noticed that RH 7.2 comes with several packages related to Japanese
support but I don't know where/how to start.

RH72 would be installed in English [to make my tech-support life
easier :-) ], and then the user would read/send email in Japanese or
use Staroffice to read Word docs in Kanji characters.

I need help about where to start; basic and detailed info will be
appreciated, since I'm not familiar with the issues involved.

Redhat linux will be highly preferred since it standardized in this
environment. If there is a good solution with another linux distro,
please send info too.

Replies can be posted to the newsgroups directly or sent to my email
address.

Thanks.

2. HELP: localhost Connection refused

3. Was: Japanese editors for Linux

4. Install Using loadlin Problems

5. Japanese editor for LinuX

6. OLWM with more than 256 colors??

7. I am a very confused Japanese Girl - help.

8. Experience with a laptop?

9. Search Engine support for a Japanese site

10. Draft Japanese LGX manual on ftp.yggdrasil.com

11. Turbo Linux 4.0 Japanese support problems

12. tar.gz file for Japanese Ext to Linux (0.9.3) 94/1/24 available