Usb key drive Problem

Post by Pasquini David » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:39:12

Hi to everyone,
I have a little problem: when I plug my usb key drive linux  I start usb
viewer utility and he tell me that there is a Usb storage device.
But... which is the file associated to them in /dev directory??? I don't
know were to find it and so I can't mount my usb key drive!

anyone can help me?

thanks in advance

Usb key drive Problem

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:00:06

Pasquini Davide enlightened us with:

Quote:> But... which is the file associated to them in /dev directory??? I
> don't know were to find it and so I can't mount my usb key drive!

Take a look at /var/log/messages and/or dmesg, perhaps that gives you
more info. doing "cdrecord -scanbus" might also be interesting. A wild
guess: /dev/sda1

Sybren

Usb key drive Problem

Post by Sybren Stuve » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:17:47

Pasquini Davide enlightened us with:

Quote:> ok, in /var/log/messages is wrote that my device is founded and it
> emulated as scsi device 1, now I suppose that the correct file is
> /dev/sda1....

I never really got the hang of scsi device number to /dev/whatever
translations, but it shows that your device is using scsi, so it should
be /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or something like that.

Quote:> but....in my dev directory there is no /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda* .......
> what is my mistake?

If you're using devfs: take a look in something that looks like
/dev/scsi or /dev/disk or something similar. I can't tell you the exact
name, since I don't use devfs.

If you're not, then do:

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV sda