SLS-Permission-Drama (elm/mail)

Post by Michael Wi » Thu, 05 Nov 1992 08:23:38

Hello,

I am using the SLS-Package, and if anyone has full rights on /usr/spool/mail,
all does seem to work well.

Only anyone can delete anyones mail then. Not good.

So I gave elm the group mail, it was alread set "sgid", and I gave
/usr/spool/mail the group mail.

So anyone should read his mail with elm, right? Does not work, it says
"cannot open folder /var/spool/mail/michaelw for reading"

Have I missed some information?

Awaiting, Michael Will

Post by Terje Vern » Fri, 06 Nov 1992 05:29:05

> Hello,
> I am using the SLS-Package, and if anyone has full rights on /usr/spool/mail,
> all does seem to work well.
> Only anyone can delete anyones mail then. Not good.

You'll have to set the sticky-bit on the mail-directory:
chmod 1777 /usr/spool/mail

With the sticky-bit set, a user can only delete a file owned by
himself.
  | Terje Vernly                   "The dead know only one thing : |

Post by Anthony Love » Fri, 06 Nov 1992 04:50:25

>Hello,

>I am using the SLS-Package, and if anyone has full rights on /usr/spool/mail,
>all does seem to work well.

>Only anyone can delete anyones mail then. Not good.

>So I gave elm the group mail, it was alread set "sgid", and I gave
>/usr/spool/mail the group mail.

>So anyone should read his mail with elm, right? Does not work, it says
>"cannot open folder /var/spool/mail/michaelw for reading"

>Have I missed some information?

>Awaiting, Michael Will

I've had this problem ,chown michaelw.maik michaelw
and the same for any other users mailbox just use their logname

anthony

Post by Michael Wi » Sat, 07 Nov 1992 07:26:23

>You'll have to set the sticky-bit on the mail-directory:
>chmod 1777 /usr/spool/mail

Yes, possible, but it still leaves the question, why this should not work:

drwxrwxr-x   2 root     mail          192 Nov  5 01:07 mail

elm and fastmail and newmail and printmail and wnewmail are of group mail,
elm is sgid. why can't it write into the mail-directory then?

Confused, Michael Will

Post by Michael Wi » Sat, 07 Nov 1992 15:53:22

>Yes, possible, but it still leaves the question, why this should not work:
>drwxrwxr-x   2 root     mail          192 Nov  5 01:07 mail
>elm and fastmail and newmail and printmail and wnewmail are of group mail,
>elm is sgid. why can't it write into the mail-directory then?
>Confused, Michael Will

And confused I was - after setting the group right it did work ;-)

So here is the answer: assign group mail to all mail-programs and to the
mail-spool-dir...

Thank you for your help,

Michael Will

1. Elm problem: elm can't read mail file, why?

Hello,

I have a problem with elm. All of a sudden i cannot access
my incoming mail file.  Elm reports it can't read the mail
file because it is  corrupt.  I can read the file using vi
and it looks ok.  There must be something missing in the
file to make it corrupt.  I'm hoping I can repair the file
but I do not know what the structure of the file should be
or what elm is looking for..  I did some searching on my
system for documentation but can't find anything.  Any
suggestions on where to look.  And any suggestions on what
may be wrong?

I have a HP-UX 8.05 system and  Elm revision: 66.25

Thanks in advance

Tom Jennings

2. 8mm tape drive won't define!

3. SLS 1.03 uucp permissions/mail problem

4. PLEASE HELP: child died message???!!!

5. Elm 2.4.22 compilation on 0.99-8 SLS/gcc2.3.3

6. XFree86 3.9.17 XF86Config for G400 MAX

7. Setting up Elm under Linux SLS .99pl9-1

8. Ethernet DaynaPort PCI Problem

9. mail file permissions in /var/mail

10. Elm permissions problem

11. Elm 2.4pl23 on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 (OSF3.00) and elm.rc

12. Elm: Waiting to read mailbox while mail being received

13. /lib/libc.2.2.2 and smail/elm/mail