Hard Disk Controller(?) message

Post by Panayotis Fouliras; TA P » Wed, 01 Sep 1993 22:22:37

I have recently installed linux on my machine from the
Slackware distribution. Although I haven't managed to make X
working 100% OK yet, I have the following question:

Quite often during a session, I get the message "Unexpected HD
interrupt" or something similar and occasionally the system
hangs. Why is that? I have used the mke2fs with the -c option.
I know I have bad blocks on my two Linux partitions, but they
are found and marked(?) during installation.

My system info:

80386DX (25MHz), 512K Trident 8900B SVGA, 8M of RAM, two primary
partitions - one for the filesystem (/dev/hdb2 with ~66Mb) and
a swap one (<4Mb). I have two hard disks, but Linux is on the
second one, which is an IDE one. I have installed everything,
BUT network/mail, printer, TeX and emacs stuff. Linux is loaded
from a diskette.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Panayotis

--

Voice:     +44 71 975 5220   | Mile End Rd,          |  anthei kai
FAX:       +44 81 980 6533   | London E1 4NS         |  ferei kai allon"

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. 403-Permission to read dir.

3. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

4. DHCP

5. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

6. Problem with x and recompiled kernel

7. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

8. "NO CARRIER" message ends modem connection

9. Problem with IDE Hard Disk and Two Controllers

10. Manually formatting hard disks attached to Fasttrak raid controller

11. hard disk controller

12. Hard disk controller upgrade

13. aic7xxx thinks my tape drive is a hard disk (aha2940u2w controller)