Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by john bro » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:55:10



I have installed Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 on a laptop, desktop PIII, and
AMD k-6 at home.  I just bought a new computer with windows
preinstalled.  I don't know if it could boot into windows because I
immediately put in the Mandrake cd.  One thing I did notice was upon
booting the pc started up the BIOS with "The computer has been started
in 'SAFE MODE' due to incorrectly assigning the CPU speed. It's a PIV
2.4 Ghz. The computer specs are:

ASUS X series P4S533-X motherboard
80GB Maxtor hard drive
NVIDIA 64 MB graphics card

Award BIOS setup:
PRIMARY MASTER
MAXTOR 6Y080L0
TYPE [AUTO]
CYLINDERS [1024]
HEAD [255]
SECTOR [63]
CHS CAPACITY [8422]
MAXIMUM LBA CAPACITY [81964]
MULTISECTOR TRANSFERS [MAXIMUM]
SMART MONITORING [6]
CPU Speed [2400MHZ]
CPU Frequency Multiple [18x]
CPU External Frequency [133/33]
Memory Frequency [Auto]

I've tried several methods of installing. I'm always able to allocate
the partitions. I.E.
/dev/hda1 2GB
/dev/hda5 1GB
/dev/hda6 4GB
/swap 800MB etc., etc.

   These are general examples.  I've tried making all of the
partitions smaller(less than 1GB) or larger (more than 4GB), with all
possible combinations.  But without fail, I can allocate the space,
and when it comes to formatting partitions, it always locks up on
formatting "hda6".  I've tried with Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1.  I believe
once out of the 58 times I've tried it actually made it to "hda9" but
99.9% of the time hangs at "hda6".
   Some errors have been:

   "An error occurred fsck failed on /dev/hda6 w/ exit code 0 or
signal 11."
   "Error installing perl-5.8.0-19mdk.i586"
   "Error installing perl-base-5.8.0-19mdk.i586"
    and basically goes down the list of all the rpm's that it couldn't
install, I'm assuming on /dev/hda6 because it wasn't formatted
properly.

If I then restart the computer and the install in "expert mode" or
"recommended mode" I can always see how I allocated the space
previously although it didn't format correctly.  All of the mount
points are there, I just need to rename them.
I've tried programs which write random binary or zeros.  I've also
tried the maxtor Powermax 4.06 which was downloaded from the maxtor
site.  It did a "low-level" format, checked for errors, and "PASSED"
the hard drive as error free.
  I'm at wits end.  Althoug I'm still a newbie, I've done quite a few
installs w/out problems.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by Lenar » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:46:05



Quote:> I have installed Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 on a laptop, desktop PIII, and AMD
> k-6 at home.  I just bought a new computer with windows preinstalled.  I
> don't know if it could boot into windows because I immediately put in the
> Mandrake cd.  One thing I did notice was upon booting the pc started up
> the BIOS with "The computer has been started in 'SAFE MODE' due to
> incorrectly assigning the CPU speed.

<snip>

Quote:>    "An error occurred fsck failed on /dev/hda6 w/ exit code 0 or
> signal 11."
>    "Error installing perl-5.8.0-19mdk.i586" "Error installing
>    perl-base-5.8.0-19mdk.i586"

Possible bad memory or additional BIOS settings with regards to memory;

http://www.memtest86.com/

--
end
If you cannot read this, use a non-Microsoft reader!!
This mail is Virus Free, no Microsoft products were used in it's distribution.

 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by john bro » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:43:56




> > I have installed Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 on a laptop, desktop PIII, and AMD
> > k-6 at home.  I just bought a new computer with windows preinstalled.  I
> > don't know if it could boot into windows because I immediately put in the
> > Mandrake cd.  One thing I did notice was upon booting the pc started up
> > the BIOS with "The computer has been started in 'SAFE MODE' due to
> > incorrectly assigning the CPU speed.

> <snip>

> >    "An error occurred fsck failed on /dev/hda6 w/ exit code 0 or
> > signal 11."
> >    "Error installing perl-5.8.0-19mdk.i586" "Error installing
> >    perl-base-5.8.0-19mdk.i586"

> Possible bad memory or additional BIOS settings with regards to memory;

> http://www.memtest86.com/

Thanks.  I'll try it out.
 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by john bro » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:42:49





> > > I have installed Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 on a laptop, desktop PIII, and AMD
> > > k-6 at home.  I just bought a new computer with windows preinstalled.  I
> > > don't know if it could boot into windows because I immediately put in the
> > > Mandrake cd.  One thing I did notice was upon booting the pc started up
> > > the BIOS with "The computer has been started in 'SAFE MODE' due to
> > > incorrectly assigning the CPU speed.

> > <snip>

> > >    "An error occurred fsck failed on /dev/hda6 w/ exit code 0 or
> > > signal 11."
> > >    "Error installing perl-5.8.0-19mdk.i586" "Error installing
> > >    perl-base-5.8.0-19mdk.i586"

> > Possible bad memory or additional BIOS settings with regards to memory;

> > http://www.memtest86.com/

> Thanks.  I'll try it out.

Is there anyone that thinks this may be a BIOS conflict.  I have an
80GB hard disk but the BIOS always shows cyl=1024 Sectors=63
Heads=255.  Shouldn't I have 9964 cylinders.  Another thing I noticed
is after formatting 50 times with the Mandrake install CD the root
partition starts at sector 63.  When I click on it for more
information it says the "/" partition is MS-DOS bootable.  How do I
access those first 63 sectors to get rid of that?  More importantly
how did it get there?  I told those guys I didn't want Windows
preinstalled to begin with.  Am I the only one whose had a problem
like this?  The computer is brand new!  The hardware is fine.  I've
installed linux on the other computers a million times without a
problem.  Any advice would be appreciated.
 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by Lenar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:48:54



Quote:> Is there anyone that thinks this may be a BIOS conflict.  I have an 80GB
> hard disk but the BIOS always shows cyl=1024 Sectors=63 Heads=255.
> Shouldn't I have 9964 cylinders.  Another thing I noticed is after
> formatting 50 times with the Mandrake install CD the root partition
> starts at sector 63.

I'm glad that the memory is OK, sometimes cheap memory works OK with M$
stuff but not Linux. You could try setting the BIOS hard drive settings to
match what your hard drive specs are(most have the C/H/S values on the
label), [MANUAL] instead of using the [AUTO] default setting.

Quote:> When I click on it for more information it says the "/" partition is
> MS-DOS bootable.  How do I access those first 63 sectors to get rid of
> that?  More importantly how did it get there?

Is a different(/boot for example) partition sectors 0-62, check and
post(if needed); fdisk -l /dev/hd* (Linux's fdisk command)

Some system manufactures place a diagnostics/recovery partition on the
hard drive, the first 62 sectors of the hard drive could be this.

Quote:>  I told those
> guys I didn't want Windows preinstalled to begin with.  Am I the only
> one whose had a problem like this?  The computer is brand new!  The
> hardware is fine.  I've installed linux on the other computers a million
> times without a problem.  Any advice would be appreciated.

--
end
If you cannot read this, use a non-Microsoft reader!!
This mail is Virus Free, no Microsoft products were used in it's distribution.
 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by Gary G. Taylo » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:57:34



> Some system manufactures place a diagnostics/recovery partition on the
> hard drive, the first 62 sectors of the hard drive could be this.

Or, if it's a proprietary machine, some or all of the BIOS may also be
there.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
"The two most abundant things in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

 
 
 

Installed Mandrake 9.0-9.1 on 3 computers, 4th. computer Impossible!!!

Post by john bro » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:28:06




> > Some system manufactures place a diagnostics/recovery partition on the
> > hard drive, the first 62 sectors of the hard drive could be this.

> Or, if it's a proprietary machine, some or all of the BIOS may also be
> there.

   I've never thought of that.  A proprietary machine.  Maybe I smiled
just a bit too much when I told the salesman don't bother adding 100
to price tag with XP Professional or Home Edition.  "No thanks, I'll
be installing my own OS;)" NOT!
 
 
 

1. Computer Hangs When Installing Mandrake Linux 8.2 Or 9.0

I'm a newbie and after previous problems with Mandrake Linux crashing
(which I believed was due to the machine). I have decided to start
again. I bought a new motherboard, processor and RAM for the old case.

My problem now is that when I run the V8.2 or V9.0 installation CD, it
will get to the first stage of loading the program into memory and
hang halfway through. V8.1 is different. It will load the program into
memory and I can start the install. I can get past partitioning the
hard drive and it will start to look for the packages to install. At
this point V8.1 will hang.

Below is the current configuration of the machine:
Gigabyte GA-7VKML (which superceded the supported GA-7VVM)
Matrox Millenium (4MB) PCI graphics card (replacing built in graphics
chip)
128MB DDR RAM
AMD Duron 1.3GHz processor
Maxtor 8.4GB IDE hard drive installed as master on IDE channel 1
Creative CD-Rom drive installed as master on IDE channel 2.

I don't believe that the hard drive can be faulty (no strange noises
or anything like that). Partitionmagic was happy to work with it. The
USB ports are enabled but there's no difference if you turn them off.
I'm curious to know what changed between v8.1 to 8.2 to make them
react so differently.

Please help, every time I try Linux, I can't seem to reach a stable
installation.

Regards

Dominic Martin

2. T1 line providers?

3. install linux on old computer or buy pre-installed new computer?

4. Network Start up

5. just installed redhat 9.0 on new computer: 3 questions

6. calibrate_tsc should not use HZ

7. Mdk 9.0, CUPS hangs computer

8. RH6: Servers respond only to local lan

9. Computer Vitals - Your Online Computer Helpline

10. toxic waste in computer production; how to make computers last

11. how to compile modules on this computer to use on "other" computer

12. Sharing printer between Linux computer and Win 3.11 or Win95 computer?

13. AD: The Computer Underground sells and supports Linux computers