Serial console software

Post by morr.. » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I've seen a couple other posts on this, but haven't seen any good
answers yet:

How do I set up minicom (or some other piece of software for Linux/*nix)
to act like a serial console?  I can do this under Win9x with
Hyperterminal by setting it go directly through Com1, but so far I
haven't found how to get minicom to not do anything modem-related and
just sit on /dev/tty00 like a good little terminal.

This sort of thing is desperately useful for administrating cobalt
raq's, headless sun boxen, routers, etc. and I *know* there has to be a
way to do it under Linux.  I've tried removing modem init strings,
configuring the comm settings exactly like Hyperterminal, but it just
don't work (same hardware & serial cable, my laptop dual-boots Win98 and
Debian).

Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Serial console software

Post by Ryan Leac » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Add this entry to inittab
Sn:2345:respawn:/sbin/m(in?)getty ttySn
where n is the com port you want to use (more likely than not it'll be 0)
this also assumes you've installed the mgetty package.
then ]# telinit q
this is also usefull if you want to hang a modem off the port for out of
band dialing.

> I've seen a couple other posts on this, but haven't seen any good
> answers yet:

> How do I set up minicom (or some other piece of software for Linux/*nix)
> to act like a serial console?  I can do this under Win9x with
> Hyperterminal by setting it go directly through Com1, but so far I
> haven't found how to get minicom to not do anything modem-related and
> just sit on /dev/tty00 like a good little terminal.

> This sort of thing is desperately useful for administrating cobalt
> raq's, headless sun boxen, routers, etc. and I *know* there has to be a
> way to do it under Linux.  I've tried removing modem init strings,
> configuring the comm settings exactly like Hyperterminal, but it just
> don't work (same hardware & serial cable, my laptop dual-boots Win98 and
> Debian).

> Thanks in advance!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Serial console software

Post by Morrig » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the help on this!  I'll try these out tonight and see how
they work.

> Add this entry to inittab
> Sn:2345:respawn:/sbin/m(in?)getty ttySn
> where n is the com port you want to use (more likely than not it'll be
0)
> this also assumes you've installed the mgetty package.
> then ]# telinit q
> this is also usefull if you want to hang a modem off the port for out
of
> band dialing.

Quote:> > I've seen a couple other posts on this, but haven't seen any good
> > answers yet:

> > How do I set up minicom (or some other piece of software for
Linux/*nix)
> > to act like a serial console?  I can do this under Win9x with
> > Hyperterminal by setting it go directly through Com1, but so far I
> > haven't found how to get minicom to not do anything modem-related
and
> > just sit on /dev/tty00 like a good little terminal.

> > This sort of thing is desperately useful for administrating cobalt
> > raq's, headless sun boxen, routers, etc. and I *know* there has to
be a
> > way to do it under Linux.  I've tried removing modem init strings,
> > configuring the comm settings exactly like Hyperterminal, but it
just
> > don't work (same hardware & serial cable, my laptop dual-boots Win98
and
> > Debian).

> > Thanks in advance!

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. System Commander or Select-It with RedHat 5.0

3. Serial Console Management Software

4. Linux VPN kernel 2.2.5

5. serial console & real console

6. SoundBlaster CD-ROM not recognized

7. serial console and real console

8. in need of complete solaris pkg documentation?

9. Serial console Vs telnet console

10. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off

11. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

12. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

13. 1/3 Fix serial console flow control, serial.c