Diamond Speed Star SVGA card

Post by Matthew A. Lew » Sun, 16 Aug 1992 02:18:32

anyone got this to work with X under Linux????

And also, is it true that the Diamond Stealth card won't work 'cuz
it has that new S3 chip???

Thanx in advance.

--
MaThiEu a. LeWis
Thieves Like Us

Diamond Speed Star SVGA card

Post by Kevin Cummin » Sun, 16 Aug 1992 06:48:05

Quote:> anyone got this to work with X under Linux????

Yes, but not me, I don't have one.

Quote:> And also, is it true that the Diamond Stealth card won't work 'cuz
> it has that new S3 chip???

Yeup, that's also true.  I do own one of these, but I haven't tried.
I've been trying to figure out how Diamond selects the clocks for the
different video modes.  No luck yet.  If I have time this weekend, I'll
play around with DEBUG under DOS, and try and see what the bleep the VBIOS
is doing for mode selection.

Kevin J. Cummings                       PrimeService
20 Briarwood Road                       A Computervision Company
Framingham, Mass.                       500 Old Connecticut Path
                                        Framingham, Mass.

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games

Post by Drew Eckhar » Sun, 16 Aug 1992 08:18:19

Quote:

>anyone got this to work with X under Linux????

Yes.

Quote:

>And also, is it true that the Diamond Stealth card won't work 'cuz
>it has that new S3 chip???

Yes.  There is currently no freely available S3 driver for X386.  However,
some of the Linux crew are working on one.  When available, it will probably
be folded into the X386 1.2 sources.

The folks making the S3 are very friendly, and distribute accurate
doccumentation on their chips, for free.  Consequently, the S3 will be
supported some time in the forseable future, x386 users will have
an option for high speed graphics (I've seen X on a '486 running
with the commercial S3 server.  VERY fast.  Very similiar to a
fast RISC workstation, like an HP snake), S3 vendors will have
a new market, and every body will win.

Colorado Memory Systems should take note of this - to the emerging
free Unix market, and users of BSDI's product, many of their
products are absolutely worthless, as they refuse to provide
hardware documentation to anyone.

--
Microsoft is responsible for propogating the evils it calls DOS and Windows,
IBM for AIX (appropriately called Aches by those having to administer it), but neither is as bad as AT&T.  Boycott AT&T, and let them know how you feel.

Diamond Speed Star SVGA card

Post by Hongjiu » Sun, 16 Aug 1992 14:11:58

I think you can add a few real mode codes before the kernel is loaded. If
it is true, you just need to know what code is sent to VBIOS to set the
clock.

--
H.J.
Gcc/libc maintainer for Linux.

|> > anyone got this to work with X under Linux????
|>
|> Yes, but not me, I don't have one.
|>
|> > And also, is it true that the Diamond Stealth card won't work 'cuz
|> > it has that new S3 chip???
|>
|> Yeup, that's also true.  I do own one of these, but I haven't tried.
|> I've been trying to figure out how Diamond selects the clocks for the
|> different video modes.  No luck yet.  If I have time this weekend, I'll
|> play around with DEBUG under DOS, and try and see what the bleep the VBIOS
|> is doing for mode selection.
|>
|> =================================================================
|> Kevin J. Cummings                       PrimeService
|> 20 Briarwood Road                       A Computervision Company
|> Framingham, Mass.                       500 Old Connecticut Path
|>                                   Framingham, Mass.

|> Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
|>             I've come to the conclusion that your new
|>             defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games

Diamond Speed Star SVGA card

Post by Kevin Cummin » Wed, 19 Aug 1992 04:10:36

Quote:> I think you can add a few real mode codes before the kernel is loaded. If
> it is true, you just need to know what code is sent to VBIOS to set the
> clock.

That I've done.  It's trivial.  What I'm trying to do is figure out how
to do this WITHOUT the aid of the VBIOS!