Who uses Diamond Stealth 1028x768?

Who uses Diamond Stealth 1028x768?

Post by Ronald Hindmar » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 20:26:01



I have managed to get 1024x768 somehow with the
diamond-fix-package (freq etc.) but the next day
it didn't work anymore :-(. Any clues?

My Xconfig :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
RGBPath         "/usr/X386/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
NoTrapSignals
Keyboard
  AutoRepeat 500 5
  ServerNumLock
Microsoft       "/dev/mouse"
  BaudRate      1200
vga256
  Virtual       1024 768
  vendor        "nonlinear"
  ViewPort      0 0
  Modes         "640x480" "1024x768" "high"
  Clocks 25 80 120
ModeDB
# name        clock   horizontal timing     vertical timing      flags
"640x480"     25     640  672  768  800       480  490  492  509
"1024x768"    80     1024 1056 1080 1328      768  776  786  800
"high"       120     1024 1056 1080 1328      768  776  786  800
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday:
Xs3 0.4.4 came up with a flickering 640x480/25 screen and I had
to Ctrl-Alt-+ TWO times to get a synced 1024 picture. Obviously
the "1024x768"/80 didn't work, but the "high"/120 did. Hmmm...

Today:
Same start, Ctrl-Alt-+ delivers dark (unsynced) screen two times,
the third time I get flicker640 again. I ran freq 80 from an xterm
and the screen size and flicker is reduced. Pressing C-A-+ again
yields two dark screens, and after the third time flicker640 again.

And another Question: I have a Eizo (Nanao) T560i Monitor which
can handle up to 120 Mhz. Theoretically this should easily enable
a refresh rate > 75 Hz. What is the highest achieveable refresh rate?
freq says that clock must be <=86, and my arithmetic understanding
(slightly damaged by 640x480/25 today) of the numbers in the "high"
timing tells me that something like 80 Hz must be the upper limit.

--

 Institut fuer Technische Informatik,  TU Berlin FR 3-9
 Franklinstr. 29                            Phone: (+49) 30 314-73432
 W-1000 Berlin 10                             Fax: (+49) 30 314-21103

 
 
 

Who uses Diamond Stealth 1028x768?

Post by Kevin Cummin » Sun, 02 May 1993 05:41:40



> I have managed to get 1024x768 somehow with the
> diamond-fix-package (freq etc.) but the next day
> it didn't work anymore :-(. Any clues?

I use the "MS-WINDOWS" technique at the moment to program my Diamond Stealth
card for me.  I'm also using a NEC-3D monitor, so I use an 1024x768i mode.

Quote:> My Xconfig :

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RGBPath            "/usr/X386/lib/X11/rgb"
> FontPath   "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
> FontPath   "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> FontPath   "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
> FontPath   "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> NoTrapSignals
> Keyboard
>   AutoRepeat 500 5
>   ServerNumLock
> Microsoft  "/dev/mouse"
>   BaudRate 1200
> vga256
>   Virtual  1024 768
>   vendor        "nonlinear"
>   ViewPort      0 0
>   Modes    "640x480" "1024x768" "high"
>   Clocks 25 80 120

              ^^
Your second clock should ALWAYS be 28.  As per the IBM VGA definition.
Your third clock is your currently configured "extended" clock.  What did
you program it to?  (Did you re-program the second clock as well?????)

Quote:> ModeDB
> # name        clock   horizontal timing     vertical timing      flags
> "640x480"     25     640  672  768  800       480  490  492  509
> "1024x768"    80     1024 1056 1080 1328      768  776  786  800
> "high"       120     1024 1056 1080 1328      768  776  786  800
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Yesterday:
> Xs3 0.4.4 came up with a flickering 640x480/25 screen and I had
> to Ctrl-Alt-+ TWO times to get a synced 1024 picture. Obviously
> the "1024x768"/80 didn't work, but the "high"/120 did. Hmmm...

Put the mode you want X to come up in first in your "Modes" line.
Mine looks like this:

  Clocks  25 28 43

  Modes "1024x768i" "728x534" "640x480"

  ModeDB
 "640x480"      25      640  664  760  800   480  491  493  525
 "728x534"      28      728  752  856  888   534  534  536  554
 "1024x768i"    43     1024 1064 1224 1264   768  777  785  817  Interlace

That way, I always come up in 1024x768i mode.  (It always works for me.)

Quote:> Today:
> Same start, Ctrl-Alt-+ delivers dark (unsynced) screen two times,
> the third time I get flicker640 again. I ran freq 80 from an xterm
> and the screen size and flicker is reduced. Pressing C-A-+ again
> yields two dark screens, and after the third time flicker640 again.

Sounds like your clocks aren't set to what you think they are.  Try invoking
XS3 without a clocks line in your Xconfig file.  Capture stderr and look
at what XS3 thinks the clocks are.  It might help your debugging effort.

--
Kevin J. Cummings                       ComputerVision Services