Token Ring Device Driver for Linux ?

Post by Nick Ting » Thu, 08 Jul 1993 03:38:07

Hi Fellow_Linuxers,

Is there a Token Ring driver available for Linux ? IBM's TR card ?

Is anyone running Linux over token ring/or wishes to use token ring ?

If you want to use Token Ring and using Madge cards, do you want a driver
for it (Madge Smart TR cards) ? How useful will it be for you ?

I'm gathering this info so that if I get sufficient repsonses, I'll try to
port our driver for Linux in my free time. Right now it is ported for SCO,
AIX, Solaris and soon Unixware.

Ques for deviec_drivers_gurus : Can the device driver be dynamically
loaded/unloaded in Linux (0.99pl10) ? How easy is to port one written for
STREAMS. I know, there is no STREAMS in Linux.`

Thanks in advance

NT

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. ATI Radeon 7500 and XFree86 4.2: Help!

3. TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

4. Problem installing Creative SB Live 1024! under FreeBSD 3.4

5. Token Ring Device Driver

6. HELP: X on a Cirrus Logic CL-GD6410 notebook

7. Solaris 2.4 x86, Mach 64 Video Driver, and Token Ring driver conflict??

8. Changing passwords

9. Token Ring Drivers for Linux: Where?

10. Token-ring driver linux

11. Token Ring Driver For Linux