xterm : right button instead of middle mouse button for scrolling

xterm : right button instead of middle mouse button for scrolling

Post by Stev » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:40:06

Hi;

I didn't recogonize anything in the xterm man page as allowing the
user to set up xterm such that the scrollbars would scroll with the
right mouse button ( instead of the default middle mouse button ).

Is this possible in xterm?

Thanks in advance for the info

Steve

xterm : right button instead of middle mouse button for scrolling

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:17:54

On 24 Jun 2003 07:40:06 -0700, Steve

> Hi;

> I didn't recogonize anything in the xterm man page as allowing the
> user to set up xterm such that the scrollbars would scroll with the
> right mouse button ( instead of the default middle mouse button ).

> Is this possible in xterm?

On my system (Debian testing/unstable, X version 4.2.1.1), if the
scrollbar is enabled in xterm, it uses the right and left buttons as
"elevator buttons", instead of having the up/down/left/right buttons
on screen as in M$ Windows or most newer X applications.  You can also
scroll using the middle button or the wheel.

If you don't like how the scrollbar works in xterm, you can try rxvt,
gnome-terminal, or some other terminal.

--
It is often the case that the man who can't tell a lie thinks he is the best
judge of one.

Post by Stev » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:06:11

> On 24 Jun 2003 07:40:06 -0700, Steve

> > Hi;

> > I didn't recogonize anything in the xterm man page as allowing the
> > user to set up xterm such that the scrollbars would scroll with the
> > right mouse button ( instead of the default middle mouse button ).

> > Is this possible in xterm?

> On my system (Debian testing/unstable, X version 4.2.1.1), if the
> scrollbar is enabled in xterm, it uses the right and left buttons as
> "elevator buttons", instead of having the up/down/left/right buttons
> on screen as in M$ Windows or most newer X applications.

I'm not sure I understand I am also on debian ( Knoppix 3.2 ). up/down
scrolls through the history in xterm.

Quote:>  You can also
> scroll using the middle button or the wheel.

Is it possible to scroll with the righ mouse button?

Quote:

> If you don't like how the scrollbar works in xterm, you can try rxvt,
> gnome-terminal, or some other terminal.

rxvt seems to have the same issue.  I want to stay away from konsole
and multignome terminal.  Are there other options?

Steve

Post by dan » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:42:59

> Hi;

> I didn't recogonize anything in the xterm man page as allowing the
> user to set up xterm such that the scrollbars would scroll with the
> right mouse button ( instead of the default middle mouse button ).

> Is this possible in xterm?

> Thanks in advance for the info

> Steve

You obviously didn't read the ENTIRE man page :-)
xterm is an X10 anachronism. The following resource will
give xterm a more modern behavior

xterm*scrollbar.Translations: #override \n\
  <Btn1Down>:StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn1Motion>:MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <Btn2Down>:StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn2Motion>:MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <Btn3Down>:StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn3Motion>:MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <BtnUp>:NotifyScroll(Proportional) EndScroll()

/dan

1. Swap left and middle mouse buttons for scrolling in xterm

In xterm (cygwin), the default for continuous scrolling is via mouse
button3 (middle). This really annoys me 'cos I have a mouse with scroll
wheel (which is handy for other applications). I'd like to use button1
instead.

After searching in Google Groups for weeks, this is what I've found
that comes close:

In .Xdefaults, add

XTerm*Scrollbar.Translations: #override \n\
  <Btn1Down>: StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn1Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <Btn2Down>: StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn2Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <Btn3Down>: StartScroll(Continous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()\n\
  <Btn3Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
  <BtnUp>: NotifyScroll(Proportional) EndScroll()

Doesn't work! Any other suggestions? Any input will be GREATLY
appreciated.
Thank you!
Tif

2. UUCP instead of Admintool

3. middle mouse button on three button mice

4. problems with MacOS X, bootmanager wanted...

5. Use ctrl+left mouse button as right mouse button

6. awk ??

7. Help: 2nd mouse button (3 button mouse) not working right

8. Anybody knows of a good newsreader?

9. Using middle button on 2-button mouse

10. Middle button on 3-button mouse not registering

11. How to make the middle button work in a 3 button mouse?

12. Setting up 3-button mouse with the middle button as wheel?

13. Middle mouse button sometimes generates button 1 and 3 events