DTC 3280 SCSI Controller Card Supported ????

DTC 3280 SCSI Controller Card Supported ????

Post by Duane Charr » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 09:18:40

Hi, I have been following the OS.Linux group, and I was wondering,
has anybody done any work to write a driver for the dtc 3280 SCSI
controller Card?  Or is it compatible with something else?  I want
to get Linux, but when I looked in the FAQ it didn't show that
card.

                                Duane

Post by Terry Eva » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 21:36:07

: Hi, I have been following the OS.Linux group, and I was wondering,
: has anybody done any work to write a driver for the dtc 3280 SCSI
: controller Card?  Or is it compatible with something else?  I want
: to get Linux, but when I looked in the FAQ it didn't show that
: card.

:                               Duane

It should be compatible with the Adaptec 1542 drvier.  I have a DTC 3292
card and the Adaptec driver works just fine for it.

Terry

Post by David Le » Sat, 01 May 1993 18:22:42

Quote:Terry Evans writes:
>It should be compatible with the Adaptec 1542 drvier.  I have a DTC 3292
>card and the Adaptec driver works just fine for it.

The DTC 3280A is not a bus mastering card and as far as I know does
not even faintly resemble the Adaptec 1542A,B or C.  I would be
*HIGHLY* surprised if the Adaptec driver worked with it :-)

I ditched my DTC for an Adaptec long ago just so I could run Linux...
maybe I didn't need to ;-)

   Terry Evans writes:
   >It should be compatible with the Adaptec 1542 drvier.  I have a DTC 3292
   >card and the Adaptec driver works just fine for it.

   The DTC 3280A is not a bus mastering card and as far as I know does
   not even faintly resemble the Adaptec 1542A,B or C.  I would be
   *HIGHLY* surprised if the Adaptec driver worked with it :-)

   I ditched my DTC for an Adaptec long ago just so I could run Linux...
   maybe I didn't need to ;-)

The DTC3280 is not a clone of the Adaptec 1542*, but rather of the
Adaptec 1522.  It *is* completely different.  Neither the DTC3280 nor
the Adaptec 1522 is currently supported.  There is hope that they may
be at some point.

The DTC3280 is more sophisticated than the ST0x, as it can talk SCSI
to the SCSI bus without having to be told every byte.  It is not as
smart as the Adapted 1542*, as you still have to copy everything.
However, it uses shared memory rather than programmed i/o, so it is a
bit faster.

Unfortunately, the documentation that we know about is rather vague
and contradictory on a few points, which has caused all drivers that
all of us have tried so far to hang before doing much.

michaelkjohnson

Post by Niels Skov Ols » Sun, 02 May 1993 02:36:19

>Terry Evans writes:
>>It should be compatible with the Adaptec 1542 drvier.  I have a DTC 3292
>>card and the Adaptec driver works just fine for it.
>The DTC 3280A is not a bus mastering card and as far as I know does
>not even faintly resemble the Adaptec 1542A,B or C.  I would be
>*HIGHLY* surprised if the Adaptec driver worked with it :-)
>I ditched my DTC for an Adaptec long ago just so I could run Linux...
>maybe I didn't need to ;-)

You *did* need to! The DTC3280* will not work with Linux until someone
gets some specs and writes a driver. Once (around 0.12) there was a
DTC3280 project, but it never got very far. I tried to get some
hardware programming specs at that time but didn't suceed - so now I
too am a happy Adaptec owner. I still have the DTC lying around though,
so I'd be happy to help testing/developing in my sommer vacation.

Niels

1. DTC 3280 SCSI Controller Card Supported?????

Hi, I have been following the OS.Linux group, and I was wondering,
has anybody done any work to write a driver for the dtc 3280 SCSI
controller Card?  Or is it compatible with something else?  I want
to get Linux, but when I looked in the FAQ it didn't show that
card.

                                Duane

2. Optimization / setup question (not a newbie)...?

3. DTC-3280 SCSI controller supported by linux?

4. Turtle Beach TBS2000 (CS4232), doesn't work right!

5. DTC 3280 SCSI Controller

6. Need advice with network printing

7. DTC 3280 SCSI Supported Under Linux?????

8. Help! Sound card problems

9. DTC 3280 SCSI driver success?

10. DataTech 3280 SCSI controller and Linux?

11. DTC 3280 Driver?

12. Driver for 3280 Controller?

13. Is Linux support DTC scsi controller?