Web browser does not work aftern modem works.

Web browser does not work aftern modem works.

Post by Kening R » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:48:41

Hi,
I am trying to make my laptop computer to access Internet.
My computer is Compaq EVO N150 with lucent winmodem inside.
I downloaded the very famous device driver for this modem. It is
ltmodem-2.4.7-10........ I can not remember its full name.
My linux kernel version is 2.4.7
My linux is RedHat 7.2 (I do not understand why RH 7.2 has such an old
version
of Linux Kernel!)

After I installed it, it worked very well. I could ping and telnet.
But when I began to run Web browser-- Netscape and Mozilla, they could
not work.
The error message was about "Can not know the server www.redhat.com",
if I wanted to connect with RedHat website.

Do you know the reason? Is there any other things I forgot to
configure? For example pppd.......

BR
--Kening

Web browser does not work aftern modem works.

Post by Berend Veldkam » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:29:59

Can you ping www.redhat.com?
Make sure you don't have manual proxy config in netscape (unless you have some
sort of proxy) It's in Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced

--

Web browser does not work aftern modem works.

Post by gokr » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:38:50

Did you ping/telnet using IP addresses or names like "www.redhat.com"?
Could be a problem with your /etc/resolv.conf
Read the resolv.conf manpage for more details..basically it lists the
DNS your host uses.

--GS

Post by Marijan Pe » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:28:48

> Can you ping www.redhat.com?
> Make sure you don't have manual proxy config in netscape (unless you have some
> sort of proxy) It's in Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced

>> After I installed it, it worked very well. I could ping and telnet.
>> But when I began to run Web browser-- Netscape and Mozilla, they could
>> not work.
>> The error message was about "Can not know the server www.redhat.com",
>> if I wanted to connect with RedHat website.

>> Do you know the reason? Is there any other things I forgot to
>> configure? For example pppd.......

>> BR
>> --Kening

Set your internet provider DNS nameservers ip-s in /etc/resolv.conf
file:
---- part of /etc/resolv.conf ----
nameserver 195.29.150.3
nameserver 195.29.150.4
      ---- end ----

--
You came out of nowhere with drums of thunder and a heart of gold.
Welcome to the inner circle.

1. Modem @38400 works w/dos, not linux

I have a PPI 28.8 hooked up to one of my serial ports.. using Qmodem.Pro
under dos, with the port set at 38400, and GSZ zmodem, I can get 3400+ cps
transfers w/ only an occasional error (line input error on lsr02).. however,
using minicom under linux, I get many many errors when downloading at 38400..
is there anything I can do short of replacing my serial ports (and then IDE
controller as well) w/ 16550's? I have a 2-port serial only card w/ one 16550,
but I don't have the docs to set the jumpers ;( (it is a Kouwell kw-509b if
anyone can help)

Any ideas? All I could come up w/ is that the 16450 I have isn't given enough
attention under linux and is dropping bits..

Thanks in Advance,

Matt
--
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Matt Stockdale                      If you're in a rat race??
Northern Arizona University         Money aint everything...

2. Winmodem...sucks?

3. Web Browser In 10 x86 Doesn't Work

4. Help? Mosaic 2.4 setup w/slack 1.1.54

5. Good Web Browser for FreeBSD (or help me make Netscape work)

6. OPENSTEP

7. PPP works but web browsers don't

8. ctrl-alt-bckspace

9. Does RH 5.1 Linuxconf from Web Browser Work?

10. Ethernet & Modem - browser nt working (newb)

11. PPP Out, browser not work!

12. Newbie: Browser checkboxes not working?

13. Virtual Domains: Work with some browsers, not others