RTC question

Post by Juanba Roman » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:16:00

I have been playing with the rtc-CMOS device in a different scenario
as
the /usr/src/linux/Documentation rtc.txt example purposes. My goal is
evaluate how-to the device node should be managed if i need all the
rtc-stuff at the same application context.
An application could to process the three main RTC functionalities:
the update IRQ, the Alarm stuff and a faster clock so
How the application design should be broken?

Current device is single open designed, so the application MUST be
designed for one process, a main thread setup every component to move
the ISR through every functionality, easy! Now where the real action
is
;-), one possible scheme could be based on threads, so:

Q1. what happens if three customized threads are read blocked each one
using the device?

A1. My test says that the rtc-io interface for every "customized"
thread
is complexed a lot. The read-information could be randomized over each
blocked read. I mean, the alarm thread decodes: ohhh this read data is
not for me it's only the update time interrupt, a similar case could
happen for the others. In such fashion, the thread which has a
read-block rate higher is the thread which should split the IRQ
information, cause very likely will suck the ISR at higher speed.
So, one needs to design the data exchange interface, a protocol to
save
potential dead-locking and so forth..

Q2. Uhmm Why the driver functionality has NOT been broken in three
minors?

Which is my real background? i am moving with a very similar RTC one
(mc48T59) in a embbeded environment, a linux-driver is planned. I saw
the rtc.o and the question arrives again:
Why re-create the wheel again?
My first feeling after reading the rtc chipset data sheet was Q2. I
have
already implemented multi-minor modules based on functionalities
mapped
in a single hardware device, and it has been (in general, up to now) a
good policy design ;-)

Opinions, suggestions, alternatives?

Thanks in advanced...

1. VMWare/rtc question

Hi there,

I've just installed the vmware2 port (cvsup two days ago) on my
4.2-STABLE system (cvsup two days ago). Everything went correctly;
however, the rtc port is acting quite strangely. After rebooting the
system, kldstat shows that rtc.ko has been loaded. However, there is no
/usr/compat/linux/dev/rtc device.

I've done this before on another system a few weeks ago, but I forgot
how to get around this problem. That system DOES have a
/usr/compat/linux/dev/rtc...

Thanks,

Sven

2. Corrected version of auis62L2-src

3. Help for hwclock and RTC (/dev/rtc) for my 386

4. Relative merits of HP-UX vs Solaris

5. hwclock and RTC (/dev/rtc) for my 386 (PC/104) not working...

6. Help, Please? Server info

7. question about hardware /software RTC

8. RTL8029 and RH4.0

9. PC-9800 additional for 2.5.61-ac1 (15/21) RTC

10. SW 3.1: dbx/rtc for sparc only ?

11. Linux on iBook: RTC doesn't seem to work

12. create_proc_read_entry in arch/ppc/iSeries/rtc.c

13. Changing the current RTC device interface