IP aliasing...reboot loses configs

Post by Daniel Hagum » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:37:12

Hi,

I'm running SuSe 6.4 and have a problem keeping an ip alias to the only nic card on my box.
After running ifconfig commands and setting up eth0:0, one of my colleagues rebooted the box when I wasn't around and later I found none of the configs stuck through a reboot. Whats the best way to setup linux so it doesn't lose these nic configs after a reboot?

  dhaguma.vcf
< 1K Download

IP aliasing...reboot loses configs

Post by Robert Grizzar » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:43:16

[f'up set to alt.os.linux]

[snip MIME content]

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm running SuSe 6.4 and have a problem keeping an ip alias to the only

]nic card on my box.
Quote:> After running ifconfig commands and setting up eth0:0, one of my colleagues

]rebooted the box when I wasn't around and later I found none of the configs
]stuck through a reboot. Whats the best way to setup linux so it doesn't lose
]these nic configs after a reboot?

Put the NIC configs into a script file that is called at boot.  On my Slack
box they are in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.  I'm sure SuSE has some similar setup.

Post by michael.fengle » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:13:41

>After running ifconfig commands and setting up eth0:0, one of my colleagues rebooted the box when I wasn't around and later I found none of the configs stuck through a reboot. Whats the best way to setup linux so it doesn't lose these nic configs after a reboot?

Set NETCONFIG="_0" and IPADDR_0=10.11.12.13 in /etc/rc.config.

- mike

IP aliasing...reboot loses configs

Post by Peter ten Hav » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:42:25

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm running SuSe 6.4 and have a problem keeping an ip alias to the only
nic card on my box.
> After running ifconfig commands and setting up eth0:0, one of my

colleagues rebooted the box when I wasn't around and later I found none of
the configs stuck through a reboot. Whats the best way to setup linux so it
doesn't lose these nic configs after a reboot?

Use YaST to create the aliased IP's. Go to (i'm not sure because I use the
Dutch language) System Administration => Network Configuration and after
eth0 select the next line, press F5, option "another device" and type
"eth0:0", F6 to assign an IP and F4 to activate it. SuSEconfig will run and
you're ready.

-Peter-

1. Network Config Lost After Reboot

I'm having similar issues on two AIX boxes.  Both are running 4.3 and have
etherchannel interfaces.  The problem is that when I go into smit and change
the IP on the desired interface the change is lost after reboot.  It is like
the change is not getting written to the ODM.  I've tried changing it in
"Minimum Config/Startup" and in "Further Configuration" with the same
results.  The network change works fine, but after a reboot the IP returns
to it's previous value.  I'm a little perplexed.  This has worked on other
systems before.  Is there another step for etherchannel IP changes?

thanks,

-Patrick

2. SU command

3. Interface configs lost after reboot

4. 1024x768 vs. 640x480 dot-clock problem

5. Solaris 8: NIC Loses IP Address On Reboot

6. Why doesn't noexec work?

7. Problem: FreeBSD 2.1.5R loses routes when using IP aliasing

8. Newbie needs info:

9. HELP: DHCP & static IP Alias getting lost...

10. Lost TCP/IP on reboot Help!

11. IP lost on qfe interface after reboot

12. help with sendmail config on an ip aliased hostname.

13. Sendmail config on an ip aliased hostname.