Exchange Server - Linux replacement?

Post by DJM » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:45:20

I'm trying to migrate my Windows server environment to a Linux one.
Right now, the remaining server is a domain controller and Exchange
server.  I've heard Samba can act as a Windows domain controller, but
since Exchange requires being on a Windows DC, I can't make that move yet.

Are there any Exchange-type servers available for Linux?  Here's what I
use:

MS Outlook to connect (ability to use a single domain user logon in
Windows is a must -- i.e. I log into my XP workstation with a domain
account, and I fire up Outlook, and it connects with those credentials)

Rules for auto-sorting of mail into folders (should let you use Outlook's
"rules wizard" for setting up rules on the server).

Calendar

Contact list

Ability to open other users' mail/calendar/contacts (administration &
delegation)

I think the rest of the features I can live without, seeing as how I
haven't used them yet.

Price is a major consideration (as always), so the cheaper, the better
(and free is best).

The only thing I've tried so far is (IIRC) HP's OpenMail server, but it
didn't quite work right (e.g. the text-only e-mail support w/o
attachments).  My own searches have proved fruitless (although I have
found ways to connect Linux *clients* to an Exchange *server*, but that's
backwards from what I want).

Exchange Server - Linux replacement?

Post by tmaz » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:15:40

Not sure if this hass all the options, but check out volution:

http://www.caldera.com/products/volutionmsg/

Quote:> I'm trying to migrate my Windows server environment to a Linux one.
> Right now, the remaining server is a domain controller and Exchange
> server.  I've heard Samba can act as a Windows domain controller, but
> since Exchange requires being on a Windows DC, I can't make that move yet.

> Are there any Exchange-type servers available for Linux?  Here's what I
> use:

> MS Outlook to connect (ability to use a single domain user logon in
> Windows is a must -- i.e. I log into my XP workstation with a domain
> account, and I fire up Outlook, and it connects with those credentials)

> Rules for auto-sorting of mail into folders (should let you use Outlook's
> "rules wizard" for setting up rules on the server).

> Calendar

> Contact list

> Ability to open other users' mail/calendar/contacts (administration &
> delegation)

> I think the rest of the features I can live without, seeing as how I
> haven't used them yet.

> Price is a major consideration (as always), so the cheaper, the better
> (and free is best).

> The only thing I've tried so far is (IIRC) HP's OpenMail server, but it
> didn't quite work right (e.g. the text-only e-mail support w/o
> attachments).  My own searches have proved fruitless (although I have
> found ways to connect Linux *clients* to an Exchange *server*, but that's
> backwards from what I want).

Exchange Server - Linux replacement?

Post by unknow » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:44:24

If you want to use Linux because it is cheaper, don't read further.

Look at Oracle Collaboration Suite.,

dmz17 --- If I had an Xbox it would run Linux ---

1. HELP: Linux replacement for MS Exchange server? $

I am trying to move away from MS Exchange to an open standards based mail
system running on Linux.  I have been looking for a while and seem to be
getting more confused.  I want an IMAP server, with web mail, and address
book, server side mail filters and reasonable administration.

I am looking for suggestions, and possibly someone to help set it up.  I am
not trying to get something for nothing, and I am willing to pay, just not
what M$ wants.

Background/Environment:  I work for a small Ambulance company we have about
45 full time employees on MS Exchange now.  We would like to have e-mail
for everyone, including part-time and "friends".  This works out to about
150 accounts.  I went to a local company and they gave me a quote for the
upgrade, and additional licenses of about $40,000.  This is WAY out of my
budget.

I bought a new server ($2,500), put RedHat 7.2 on it and have been looking
at some IMAP based mail servers.

Most of the packages I have looked at looked OK but were missing important
functions or the administration was a nightmare.

So far the package I like the best (based on reading) is the "Courier mail
server".  It provides, IMAP, Web Mail, mail filtering and web
administration and looks like everything works together.  The problem is
that I can't get it to work. Any Courier gurus out there?

Another package that is promising is IEMS6.  This was easy to install, and
seems to have most of the components, but the web mail is poor.  Because it
is a commercial product ($1200) they seem unwilling to tell me how to
tinker with it.

There is a time pressure, because I am having intermittent hardware
problems with the old MS Exchange server and would really like to get off
of it before it crashes. Unfortunately I am a one man band and have very
little spare time.  I would be willing to pay for help to get a new mail
system on line and get me up to speed.  I am a reasonable administrator,
and a good programmer.  I have been migrating away from M$ for the last 2
years.  I have developed several apps and everything uses the same MySQL
database.  Actually once I get rid of Exchange, I can turn off the MS
servers!

I am posting this on several groups so please reply via mail.  You can post
to the group too, but I don't want to miss your reply.

Thanks,
Fred Hebert

2. Weird X behaviour with diff. slackware..

3. netscape geometry bug

4. Exchange Server replacement for home network?

5. Another Largo, FL review

6. looking for exchange replacement running under linux

7. It gets weirder.

8. Exchange replacement in Linux

9. LINUX / Exchange replacement

10. slightly offtopic: Outlook appointment information exchange without M$-Exchange server

11. Viruses on exchange server coming from linux sendmail server

12. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server