Remote Printing

Post by Darcy Boe » Wed, 11 Aug 1993 23:00:18

I have successfully configured my SLS 1.03 to do remote printing using a laser
printer attached to a server in my zone.  My only problem is that as a
non-root user, issuing the command "lpq -Pps" gives the message

    connection to other.host is down

when in fact it is not.  I assume this means I need to make some file suid?
Which one?

Remote Printing

Post by Brian McCaul » Thu, 12 Aug 1993 18:36:04

Quote:> I have successfully configured my SLS 1.03 to do remote printing using a laser
> printer attached to a server in my zone.  My only problem is that as a
> non-root user, issuing the command "lpq -Pps" gives the message

>     connection to other.host is down

> when in fact it is not.  I assume this means I need to make some file suid?

Yes lpq must be setuid(root) in order to make a priviledged TCP
comnection. I dinn't realise this until now so the FAQ says that
I'd been told lpq needed suid(root) but I'd not found out why. Now I
know the reason I'll update the FAQ.
--

 .  _\\__[oo       from       | Voice: +44 21 471 3789 (home)

.  l___\\    /~~) /~~[  /   [ |   Fax: +44 21 627 2175 (work)
 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | Snail: 197 Harborne Lane, B29 6SS, UK
###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |  ICBM: 52.5N 1.9W

1. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)

I just installed AIX 3.32 on my R6000/320 and though the install went
smoothly, the R6000 no longer allows remote (tcp/ip) access to the printer.  I
did a "complete overwrite install" and then went through and
configured the network and the remote printer access, and have
rebooted several times, stopped started lpd, etc., but I always get
the message: "your host does not have line printer access" back from
the R6000.  Printing works OK from the R6000, and interestingly, the
"on" command" works from the remote host and I can type "on ___ lpr "
and the R6000 does print then.  I tried both fully qualified and just
the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.  I am trying to print from a
Sun running 4.1.1 as well as other hosts that use BSD style printer
addressing.  Before the upgrade, remote printing worked fine.

Another strange (related?) feature is that when I type "rsh" from the
remote host I get "Login incorrect." whereas rsh used to work.  It
sounds to me like the network authentication has been messed with.
One last (related?)  problem is that I can't get the R6000 to act as a
pcnfs server (after taking the comment out of /etc/inetd.conf) whereas
it used to work as a pcnfs server before.

  Any ideas?

  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. 2.5 kernel errata list

3. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine - How do I do it?

4. SUNOS v4.1 & resolv+2.1

5. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine

6. ATM cards for linux?

7. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

8. Pioneer 105 DVD and dvdrecord -scanbus

9. RS/6000 remote printing to numeric remote queue

10. Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

11. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

12. remote printing - print filters never being called?

13. Remote Printing and Print Filters