MOSIX question

Post by Calvin Ta » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 20:08:16

Hi,
     I have 2 machines which are running at home. I re-compiled their
kernels with MOSIX patches. But by using the 'mon' utility, i found that
only the processes in the slower machine will migrate to the faster one.
ANd the faster machine never migrate the processes to the slower one
even it is so busy. Is that a normal behaviour of MOSIX?

Best regards,
Calvin

--
Best regards
Calvin

MOSIX question

Post by Alex Yount » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:44:44

Yup, this is very normal. The faster machines isn't working hard enough to
migrate those processes. Try lunching a fork bomb and see if that will
migrate (trust me, it will). Also, processes that have to access the HD a
lot won't get moved, MOSIX seeing that preformance will be better if they
stay won't migrate them. You could always try "tuning" MOSIX to make it
look like the faster machine is really slow, that's what I did at least and
it worked.